Buttercream Transfer

Decorating By MissMoore Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 12:49am by tracey1970

MissMoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissMoore Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:28pm
post #1 of 3

I will be making an Incredible Hulk cake this weekend and I have been thinking that a buttercream transfer might be the way to go. However, I have never done one before! This doesnt leave me much time to practice, so I was wondering (to all of you that have done a buttercream transfer before) how hard is it for someone new to that territory?
Thanks!

2 replies
charleezgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
charleezgal Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 9:38pm
post #2 of 3

I had great success with my very first one. I love doing them now. You can email me with your questions if you want, and I will try to answer them for you. I tried posting the transfer I did of a chicken, but it wouldn't post. You can go to my gallery and see it though.

my email address is [email protected]

tracey1970 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracey1970 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 12:49am
post #3 of 3

These are very easy. There are instructions, with pics, on here under Articles.

The only thing I do that I don't think is in the article is that I freeze mine a bit more often during the process. For instance, I will do the outline and then freeze it. I will color in one color. Freeze the fbct for a few minutes while I prepare the next bag of color. Fill in the next color and freeze the fbct while preparing the next bag. Until it's done. This seems to work for avoiding the colors smearing into one another.

Also, I do my transfer on waxed paper taped to a piece of plexiglass with the picture I am doing taped to the counter underneath the plexiglass. This works really well because you can see the picture perfectly, but you can also pick up the plexiglass and look on the underside of it (which will the the side facing UP on your cake). That way, you can see the transfer and tell if you have missed any spots or have an wiggly lines from the coloring process.

Keep a damp, "cakes-only" paintbrush and some toothpicks nearby to help push the coloring icing right up against the outline icing.

These are fun to make. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%