Using Rice Crispy Treats

Decorating By angiev77 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm by mamacc

angiev77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angiev77 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:57pm
post #1 of 13

Can anyone give me any tips about using rice crispy treats to mold pieces and then covering with fondant? How do you do it exactly? I need to make a unicorn cake for my daughter and saw where someone used the lamb pan and cut the head off and made a new head with the rice crispy treats. How do you attach it? icon_cry.gif

12 replies
KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:25am
post #2 of 13

when I use rice krispie treats to mold into stuff I usually omit the butter and just add some butter extract (so you stil get the flavor of butter but it doesn't make them quite as soft and squishy), I also crush the rice krispies with my hands a bit so they stick closer together making it tighter and more stable, they harden up a bit more than usual but everyone always eats em' regardless. Also when you're molding them just use a couple dowels cut to the correct length, dip them in water, shake off the excess and then stick them into the molded head squeezing the r.k. treats around them really well, then when they're hardened after an hr. or so you can use the dowels to stick down into the cake to hold the head on.

angiev77 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:01pm
post #3 of 13

What about covering in fondant, is there any special trick to this?

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:15pm
post #4 of 13

i've never done this so i'm going off memory from reading what others have done; some i think take some buttercream to "crumbcoat" so to speak over the rice crispy treat figure to smooth out the bumps and dips etc.. let it set up and then cover with fondant. if i'm incorrect i'm sure the right information will come very soon! icon_smile.gif

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #5 of 13

Try to get the head as smooth as possible before covering by compacting them, then put a thin layer of buttercream to fill in the cracks. Also, roll fondant thicker than usual to cover RK's....

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #6 of 13

I never use buttercream anymore, crush the cereal before you make the treats, smooth out the sculpture as much as you can before applying fondant. Also use the whole box of cereal with one bag of marshmallows and 1/2 stick of butter. Then make sure your fondant is not too thin, maybe between 1/4" and 1/8"? and you will be fine. Or you can even do one very thin layer of fondant with a slightly thicker one over it if it is not enough.

Donnagardner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Donnagardner Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:26pm
post #7 of 13

I have never done this but I have read that you should cover it in melted chocolate to help it look smoother

SweetResults Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 13

You could - but if you just crush the cereal really good it gets really smooth. I put it in a zip lock bag and roll over it with a rolling pin. I also put gloves on, butter up my hands and mix it that way so I can really smash them up while mixing. They don't taste anywhere near as good a real RKTs, but they mold better.

angiev77 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 6:58pm
post #9 of 13

Thank you for all of your advice, this makes much more sense now and I think that I will be able to do it. I guess you have to mold the RKT while they are still hot? Also, do any of you know how to make fondant "glittery"???????

SweetResults Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 13

Luster Dust or Disco dust, you can get from Global Sugar Art or somewhere else on line. Mix with a bit of extract or alcohol (like vodka or Everclear if you can get it) and paint it on.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 7:43pm
post #11 of 13

Fo rmy caterpillar cake I made balls of RKTs that were crushed by hand (not much). I just rolled the fondant thick to cover and it hid any bumps.

angiev77 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 8:43pm
post #12 of 13

If you want fondant pieces to dry hard-like the unicorn's horn-is that when you should add gum-tex to it? I know you add it when you are doing flowers but I wasn't sure what other types of decorations you would add it to. What about figurines, letters, etc.?

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #13 of 13

I like to mold them while they are warm and keep tweaking things as they cool.

Yes, add plenty of gumtex for the horn.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%