Coconut Cake?

Decorating By diana83 Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm by sttgirl

diana83 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diana83 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:41pm
post #1 of 7

does anyone here knows how to make coconutcake from scrash?

6 replies
staceyboots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
staceyboots Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:43pm
post #2 of 7

i usually make my coconut cake by using the 1234 Vanilla Cake Recipe found here on CC and then adding some Coco Lopez and Shredded Coconut to the mix. You can also replace the vanilla/almond extract in the recipe for some coconut extract.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #3 of 7

I too use the 1234 cake recipe for coconut cake. I add 2 tbs of Coco Lopez, 1 Tbs sour cream and substitute 1 Tbs coconut flavor for vanilla and almond. I use lemon curd for filling.

teenteen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teenteen Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:03pm
post #4 of 7

It's a labor of love, but I tell ya what I do.

Soak 1 1/2 c. of shredded coconut on the stove in one can of coconut milk over low heat until simmering. Once you see bubbles, remove from the heat (it can burn) and let stand for 15 min. Drain milk (you should have about a cup) off of coconut and set both aside. Make your favorite yellow cake recipe and make sure to use coconut extract (I use 2 tsp). When it is time to add your milk use the coconut milk (if your recipe calls for more milk than you have, just make up the difference with whole milk). Fold in the soaked coconut after the batter is mixed. Bake as usual. Voila!

Happy Baking!

Gendron92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gendron92 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:05pm
post #5 of 7

HI I just tried a coconut pound cake by Paula Deen and absolutely everyone loved it. I made it in a fluted pan so i dont know how much you would have to make for layered cakes. I am sure it would give you two layers 8 or 9 or even at least a 13 x9 because it rose to the top of a 12 inch fluted pan. You might be able to get the recipie from her website if not i can try to type it up. It uses coconut extract and flaked coconut in it.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:24pm
post #6 of 7

I use a vanilla cake recipe, but instead of water or milk, I use canned coconut milk, and add coconut to it. Its so creamy and mellow.

sttgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sttgirl Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:39pm
post #7 of 7

There is a scratch recipe on food network from Alton Brown that looks pretty good- I have not tried it yet and I really don't know how to do the link for you, sorry. He also has recipes to make your own coconut milk and extract if desired. Good luck!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%