I Failed The Sugar Cookie..

Baking By nopleazn Updated 26 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm by toodlesjupiter

nopleazn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nopleazn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:22am
post #1 of 20

I really did it now thumbsdown.gif I failed the NFSC icon_cry.gif how did I do it, I don't know.. I followed the directions to the T and I used the recipe from this web site.. Oh well we live and learn icon_cry.gificon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

19 replies
mommyof3tlb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommyof3tlb Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:37pm
post #2 of 20

Did it spread while it was cooking? I was just wondering. I told my MIL that I was going to try some this week so I would have a good recipe before my sons party. She was asking about the recipe, I told her it wasn't supposed to spread, etc. She said, "does it have butter in the recipe." When I told her it did, she said, "Don't use butter it WILL spread, use crisco instead."
I haven't tried either way. But if yours did spread, maybe you could try it with Crisco.
Just a thought.
Tracey

Mac Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mac Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:56pm
post #3 of 20

I didn't fail at the NFSC when I tried it but just didn't like working with the dough. The recipe that I use is Penney McConnell's and I always have great results with it. A couple may spread but most stay true to size. If you would like to try the recipe, I will be happy to email it to you.

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #4 of 20

I do mine with Imperial marg and they have never spread!
Some people also cut them out and freeze them for a while then bake them right out of the freezer. that will help with the spreading also.
I think if you use the Imperial they should be fine though,as long as your sure you added enough Flour.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 20

I also use Penny's recipe, and it has never failed me. I hardly ever get any spreading.

nopleazn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nopleazn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:41pm
post #6 of 20

I mix everything to a T but then it just seems gummy icon_eek.gif I just made a batch and it is in the freg chilling so I'm waiting to see what it looks like when it is done..

fiddlesticks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fiddlesticks Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:59pm
post #7 of 20

It shouldnt seem gummy at all ??
Did you use butter again?

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 20

I use Penny's recipe too. It's never failed for me and I prefer the texture of the cookies over the NFSC recipe by a long shot.

chassidyg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chassidyg Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:28pm
post #9 of 20

Is Penny's recipe in the recipe section?

nickshalfpint Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nickshalfpint Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:30pm
post #10 of 20

l always used NFSC recipe, but I tried Penny's this weekend and I LOVE them thumbs_up.gif Here is the link to the recipe (thanks to txcupcake, she posted the link on another thread)

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2000-12-01/recipe.php

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 20

I failed NFSC too! They were too dry and crumbly for me. I couldnt even get them up off the mat to transfer them to the cookie sheet without breaking them.
I tried Penny's a few days ago and they were PERFECT!! Oh, and I used real butter in both and they didnt spread at all. My mom was over and thought the BAKED cookies were waiting to go into the oven... that's how little they spread.

dahir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dahir Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:05pm
post #12 of 20

Where did you get the Pennys cookies recipe.
Would you let me know. I would like to try it.

Thanks,
Tracy

jojo0676 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jojo0676 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #13 of 20

I use the white velvet cutout cookie recipe that was posted on a thread here a long time ago. It has cream cheese in it and they taste wonderful. They don't spread at all. The dough can be iffy, I think it depends on the humidity or something, sometimes it's sticky, I just sprinkle extra flour when that happens. Anyway, here's the link for the recipe

http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Velvet-Cutouts/Detail.aspx

tx_cupcake Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 1:53pm
post #14 of 20

Here is a link to Penny's recipe that was printed in Texas Monthly:

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2000-12-01/recipe.php

Instead of the whipping cream you can add flavored liquid coffee creamer for some extra oomph! Hazelnut is fantastic...

momma28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momma28 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:01pm
post #15 of 20

In looking at Penny's recipe it seems it is a halved recipe for NFSC with these two alterations: vanilla is in tblsp not tsp (2 in penny's which would be 4 in nfsc because everything else is doubled) and the addition of 2 tbls whipping cream. Maybe the whipping cream is the difference. Correct me if i'm wrong. I just noticed while I comparing the recipes.

tx_cupcake Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:15pm
post #16 of 20

You're right. I think the additional liquid (whipping cream, or whatever you choose) makes a difference. I'm not sure why but I've made both recipes, and to me Penny's is the better one.

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:17pm
post #17 of 20

I use the Wilton recipe (which is NFSC with a tsp of baking powder) and I don't have any issues. If you freeze the cookies before baking, they do not spread at all. Also, if the cookies are breaking when transfering them, they are probably too thin and/or overcooked. I always cut my cookies to at the smallest 1/4 inch thick, sometimes thicker. And take them out of the oven just when set. They continue to cook on the sheet before they are removed.

Stephanie

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 3:18pm
post #18 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyof3tlb

Did it spread while it was cooking? I was just wondering. I told my MIL that I was going to try some this week so I would have a good recipe before my sons party. She was asking about the recipe, I told her it wasn't supposed to spread, etc. She said, "does it have butter in the recipe." When I told her it did, she said, "Don't use butter it WILL spread, use crisco instead."
I haven't tried either way. But if yours did spread, maybe you could try it with Crisco.
Just a thought.
Tracey

I make this recipe often, but I use half butter and half crisco. That's how I do all of my cookies. They spread less, and stay moist longer. The NFSC seem to have a texture between a sugar cookie and shortbread IMO.
I'm going to try Penny's as well to see how they are. Thanks for posting the link.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:55pm
post #19 of 20

I have made the NFSC and Penny's side by side with the same exact amount of flavoring (the amounts in Penny's recipe) and the winner was Penny's hands down.. that cream just does something to the dough. They spread a teeny bit more, but it's worth it to me.

toodlesjupiter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
toodlesjupiter Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 11:12pm
post #20 of 20

Thanks Jeanne! I'm definitely going to have to try them then! I have a bunch of cookies to make in a couple of weeks. Are they softer since they spread a bit more?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%