Buttercream Storage

Decorating By tblide Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 2:40am by tblide

tblide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tblide Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:04pm
post #1 of 3

I have a couple of questions about premade buttercream. I am talking about the buckets of buttercream that you get from Sam's Club.

Can you leave it sitting out and for how long?
Does it need to be refrigerated or frozen?
How long does it last? (how long can I use out of the same bucket before it goes bad example: 2 weeks, 1 month, 2 months, etc)

Sorry for all of the questions but I have figured the cost and think that this is a very cost effective for me but not if half of the icing is going to go bad fairly quickly. I know that I am going to use some of it fairly quickly as I have 4 cakes coming up in the month of October (just starting out) but will definately not be using the whole bucket. Any advice for the newbie?

2 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:12pm
post #2 of 3

Not sure about their brand. What's in the ingredient list? If not using dairy in the product, it should be okay. I freeze mine with shortening/flavorings/coffee creamer/PS no problem. Some people leave their's out for 2 weeks in sealed container and some in fridge.

tblide Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tblide Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:40am
post #3 of 3

I don't know about the ingredient list, but this is the same buttercream that almost all of the grocery stores use to frost their cakes. Don't know if that helps anybody answer my questions or not.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%