What Specials Are You Guys Doing? First Year At It

Decorating By sweetneice Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm by andysprite

sweetneice Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 4:39pm
post #1 of 22

Hey all! I'm doing my first holiday ad in a magazine this year and I totally excited! The only minor glitch is trying to come up with an offer that's good for the people in my area. What are you guys normally offer for the holidays/fall/winter season? Any suggestions would be helpful! icon_biggrin.gif

21 replies
leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:01pm
post #2 of 22

I don't do specials. I don't discount. I would show beautiful holiday themed cakes in my ad that people can't get anywhere else.

UltimateCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 22

I offer a 15% discount. People in my area are really hurting financially and I want to offer them a lower price for the holidays. Some people really appreciate it. Others do not.

tdybear1978 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdybear1978 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:17pm
post #4 of 22

I offer a $5.00 off coupon with orders $25 or more

Dolcesensazione Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dolcesensazione Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 5:24pm
post #5 of 22

I'm new on the web-site and I don't sell either. I just wanted to suggest what one of the bakery in my area does, instead of giving specials to people they have come up with certain flavours and types of sweets to be available only during the Thanksgiving & Christmas times. This has been very successful, they now have a list that you put your name on for either Thanksgiving or Christmas (or both), they get so many orders that the list closes by end of September.

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #6 of 22

Thanks for the pointers guys! Keep them coming!

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:42pm
post #7 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

I don't do specials. I don't discount. I would show beautiful holiday themed cakes in my ad that people can't get anywhere else.

Absolutely agree!!!!

I have a friend who is working with a very expensive marketing guy and the marketing guy said NEVER to discount or offer specials. It's ok to add value .... it's never ok to discount. This advice is working VERY well for my friend! His business is now soaring like he never imagined!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #8 of 22

I agree... NEVER discount. Once you lower your price for ANYTHING, they'll want to know why you can't do it at that price any other time.

As suggested above, you can showcase your holiday designs, and perhaps advertise seasonal flavors.

UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:01pm
post #9 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkZiab

I agree... NEVER discount. Once you lower your price for ANYTHING, they'll want to know why you can't do it at that price any other time.

As suggested above, you can showcase your holiday designs, and perhaps advertise seasonal flavors.

Good point. But is there any downside to never giving the customer a lower price?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #10 of 22

I think offering a little discount is nice gesture...if your in the position to. If your not then I wouldnt. When I first started I gave my first time buyers a frequent buyer card. Once they spend $100 on their next purchase I offer then a dozen standard cupcakes. They all loved it and it got me more business.

KKC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KKC Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:30pm
post #11 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCakes

Quote:

Good point. But is there any downside to never giving the customer a lower price?

I would like to know the answer to that one also?

I offer 15% off...but now after reading all of this I don't think its such a good idea!

Laura102777 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laura102777 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #12 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

Absolutely agree!!!!

I have a friend who is working with a very expensive marketing guy and the marketing guy said NEVER to discount or offer specials. It's ok to add value .... it's never ok to discount. This advice is working VERY well for my friend! His business is now soaring like he never imagined!

I think this is great advice. You could throw in free gift packaging or free delivery or a dozen free chocolate chip cookies with an order over a certain dollar amount or something like that. That way the customer gets a bonus and the value of your product isn't damaged.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:36pm
post #13 of 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimateCakes

Quote:

I'm a not a car salesman... my prices are not negotiable. I have a base price that my cakes start at, and I have a minimum order for everything (including cupcakes, cookies, etc). If you want it cheaper, either pick a design or product that is less expensive, or go elsewhere. I won't be crying in my cheerios. It hasn't hurt my business any... not to say I'm rolling in money, but I've already figured out what I need to charge to make a living, and I'm not going to compromise that.

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:39pm
post #14 of 22

I actually offer the free cupcakes already and have been successful! It really worked and customers were pleased. My thinking was that people usually look for holiday specials so they wouldn't expect it all the time since I'm labeling it that way. Maybe I'm wrong, but I know I usually look for certain price breaks around specific times of the year and understand the price goes back to normal afterwards. Is the cake world different?

UltimateCakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 22

I'm a not a car salesman... my prices are not negotiable. I have a base price that my cakes start at, and I have a minimum order for everything (including cupcakes, cookies, etc). If you want it cheaper, either pick a design or product that is less expensive, or go elsewhere. I won't be crying in my cheerios. It hasn't hurt my business any... not to say I'm rolling in money, but I've already figured out what I need to charge to make a living, and I'm not going to compromise that.[/quote]

Cut-throat but effective. If it works it works. I agree that you know what you need to make to sustain business. Maybe I'll reconsider my discount and offer free cookies like the others have suggested. - Probably make cookies cheaper than the discount given icon_biggrin.gif

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #16 of 22

I guess that's why they came up with the old saying Cheaper by the dozen! UltimateCakes, you made a great point on knowing what you need to sustain yourself. I think because I've recently just started back up, that I need to send out promotions to get the clientele, then they will tell others and I can slow down on the promotions as much. What do you guys think? Is that a waste of time?

alvarezmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alvarezmom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #17 of 22

It definitely would be cheaper to offer cookies or cupcakes after customer has reached a certain $$$ amount.

apetricek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
apetricek Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #18 of 22

I actually offer a couple deals to people/customers. I have an ongoing one that if they get a baby shower cake from me, that the first birthday cake I will give them 10% off. Keeps them coming back. At the holidays (I make candy too) so I do any candy order or cake order for the holidays that is over $150.00 I give them a dozen specialty chocolate covered pretzels with their order. Hepls increase total amount sales, and I can whip up a dozen pretzels in no time, also can help new business. As for your ad, if you feel you want to give them something...I would maybe include a free filling with their cake with mention/or bringing the ad, 6 free cupcakes, I think sometimes if you are trying to get new customers, they may be more williing to try you if they think they are getting a deal or something for nothing...that is just my opinion...I know others feel no discounts...but I know myself I may be more inclined to try somewhere new if I think I am getting a deal...especially the way prices are right now..

sweetneice Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:59pm
post #19 of 22

Thanks for the ideas! I have this thought that if I offer a good promotion, that I'll get a ton of business ESPECIALLY with the prices right now! Im thinking that if you get more orders over a certain amount that you really won't take a loss, depending on what you're offering of course! But, I'm here to learn so If I am I certainly take no offense to correction or opinion.

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #20 of 22

Ooops! Double post!

strawberry0121 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strawberry0121 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:16pm
post #21 of 22

I have often thought of sending out a coupon for my existing customers with a "thank you for your business" holiday card. I haven't decided to do this or not.

Maybe offer specials like the cupcakes or other item that you might want to be introducing or pushing for more orders of. (Cake Truffles anyone?!)

But I agree, NEVER discount or it will be expected.

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:35pm
post #22 of 22

What about a referral bonus? I think the biggest advertisement is word of mouth. And it's pretty cost effective too! icon_smile.gif Why not encourage customers to spread the word by offering a free bday cake for every 5 or so referrals?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%