Decorating Interview! How Do I Prepare?

Business By Tellis12 Updated 25 Sep 2008 , 2:14am by littlecake

Tellis12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tellis12 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 11:57am
post #1 of 13

Good Morning Ladies,
Well I have an interview at a cheesecake bakery this week. They decorate their cheesecakes like regular cakes. The owner wants to me to come in and decorate a wedding cake for her to show her what I can do. She's already got the design, I just have to execute it. I have no idea what it looks like though! How do I prepare? I've already planned to practice icing the cake so I can make sure I do that quickly and smoothly. But what else should I work on? I have no clue!

For those of you who have hired decorators, what are you looking for?

Thanks so much!

12 replies
ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #2 of 13

First - congrats and good luck!

Second - look at their portfolio. What's the most popular model/style? Have a sense of what their 'style' is. This will help prepare you.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #3 of 13

The VERY FIRST thing you do is wash your hands, and make sure you put on gloves.

Like was posted check out the portfolio.

Good luck,
Mike

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 6:55pm
post #4 of 13

WOW...never heard of having to do a whole wedding cake for an interview!

I bet you'll do great!

Tellis12 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:07pm
post #5 of 13

I've looked at their website and I'm confident I can do the cakes they have on there, but since Brides pick their own designs, I'm nervous! I'm really intimidated because when I spoke to her on the phone she kept saying she'd just hired this girl who was really really good. I'm not "really really" good. Not yet. I just don't want to look like a fool, you know?

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 4:19pm
post #6 of 13

I have never heard of decorating a whole wedding cake for an interview either! I think that is a little over the top. That is a lot of your time and what will she do with the wedding cake? I guess she wants to have something for display or to sell after your interview.

Anyway, bring your portfolio and just be yourself. Once you decorate a tier or two, she will be able to tell if you are qualifed for what she is looking for. The other girl may be "good" but every decorator has their own touch and style when they pick up that bag. Just do your thing and be yourself.

Remember that the interview is for you too. It is to find out if this IS the job you want. People always seem to forget that it is not just a time for the employer but it is the time for you to decide if this is the job for you. Appear interested about her company but also find out the information that is important for you to make your decision if you want to work there.

You will do great. Good luck and keep us posted on the outcome.

Tellis12 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:30pm
post #7 of 13

Thanks for the support. Even more shocking than the fact that she wants me to decorate a wedding cake is that I think, from what she said, that it's actually supposed to be for a wedding this weekend!!! I feel like that's even more pressure.

drowsyrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
drowsyrn Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #8 of 13

You do not have to do it. I wonder how the bride would feel about that? Not that you wouldn't do a great job, but this would be the phrase to the bride, "I have a job applicant who will be doing your wedding cake this weekend." Alrighty then...

I would tell her, "I don't feel comfortable doing a customer's whole wedding cake but I am more than happy to do a sheet cake in any design you choose so you can see an example of my work and here is my portfolio". In a diplomatic tone I would also ask her if the bride is aware that an applicant will be doing her wedding cake. This shows your ethical character also.

It all sounds very strange to me.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:05pm
post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by drowsyrn

It all sounds very strange to me.

Me, too. Decorating a paying customer's wedding cake as part of a job interview? That's about the weirdest thing I've heard today. icon_confused.gif

ccr03 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ccr03 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #10 of 13

Not only is it weird, but you are basically going to be the employer's free labor on the cake!
I can understand a mini wedding cake 'sample' but to risk a paying customer's cake on a potential employee. Doesn't seem very ethical to me.

littlecake Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 7:21pm
post #11 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccr03

Not only is it weird, but you are basically going to be the employer's free labor on the cake!
I can understand a mini wedding cake 'sample' but to risk a paying customer's cake on a potential employee. Doesn't seem very ethical to me.

that's what i was thinking too...plus i don't know about ya'll...but it takes me from 90 minutes to a few hours to do a wedding cake.....that's a pretty long interview!

Tellis12 Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 1:01am
post #12 of 13

Yeah, I was thinking that it might take forever. Perhaps she'll only have me decorate one tier or something. Or maybe I completely misunderstood... At least I don't have to come up with my own design though.

littlecake Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #13 of 13

keep us posted, i know you'll do great!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%