Another 1St Disaster Cake- Thanks To The Wooden Dowels!!

Decorating By chica07 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 3:28am by summernoelle

chica07 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chica07 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:58pm
post #1 of 11

Yes, I've fallen victim to the wooden dowel curse. I had an 8 inch cake on top of a 10 inch cake supported by the wooden things and they shifted. The top crashed cake started splitting and slipping. I managed to get it off and save the 10 inch.

Then I baked another 8 inch cake, frosted , added more dowels and tried stacking again. As I am driving to meet the client, the top cake slids backwards, when I pull over and look in, it had crashed into the bottom tier and it imploded.

I saved face (barely) by getting a flat sheetcake and decorating that (with shaking hands I might add).

I am still mortified, upset, disappointed, disgusted, you name it! I don't think I'll ever get this image out my head, so for now, I'm trying to laugh about it, haha-- yeah right.

Chica

ps, I uploaded all pics for 'fun' and they did not come up, boy I feel like a real winner lately...

10 replies
panipuri Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
panipuri Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 11

Sending you hugs - that is the most awful feeling! Did you refrigerate your cake before transport? Were all dowels cut the same?
IT should not happen if the dowels are the same height and it also helps to have one going thorugh both cakes - I normally use a skewer for 2 tier cakes.
I find that refrigerated cakes travel best. Do not dwell on mistakes - they help you learn. Just look forward. Elaine

EnjoyTheCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
EnjoyTheCake Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 11

How many dowels did you use? If too many are used it will weaken the structure of the cake.

cookieswithdots Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookieswithdots Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:25pm
post #4 of 11

Sorry this happened! I can just imagine how you feel, but just hang in there, don't let this get you down too much.

I am doing my first wedding cake due Oct. 4th and I'm a little nervous, but if I can get the stacking ok, I'll be fine. I'm going to be using the SPS system.

Melissa

jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 11

I never use the wooden dowels anymore since they come out with the hidden pillars works the same as wooden dowels and much more sturdy.

dellboi2u Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dellboi2u Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:28pm
post #6 of 11

I have had this same thing happen to me... luckily it was my Son's Birthday cake!!! I don't think I will ever use wooden dowells again!! I have switched to using pvc pipe. It is really easy to cut with the handy pvc pipe cutters available at Home Depot. I find that it gives a lot more support because they don't slip because when you insert them in the cake cake comes up the hole of the pvc pipe so you aren't doing as much damage to the cake. I am so sorry that this happened to you!!!! Don't let it discourage you though... good luck in the future!!

angelatx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angelatx Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:29pm
post #7 of 11

hi, sorry that happened to you.icon_smile.gif have a great fall day!!! icon_biggrin.gif

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:59am
post #8 of 11

I'm sending you hugs too you poor thing. I can just imagine the sinking feeling as try number 2 goes out and the heart tremors while you're trying to just get the sheet cake done.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:13am
post #9 of 11

i am sorry this happened with you... i have used wooden dowels for 15 years.... never had this to happen... the top tier, should not have shifted .. if you put a dowel through the center .... of the two... i have also used the sps system.. that system is ok too.... i just use different ways , as to what i am doing... hope you feel better... your nerves can get to you...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:16am
post #10 of 11

Please do look into SPS. The instruction sheet is now a sticky on the How Do I Forum, so you can see how it works.

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 3:28am
post #11 of 11

Oh, I'm sorry. I know that icky feeling in the pit of my stomach SO well-both times were due to wooden dowels as well. Ick-it makes me upset just thinking about showing up at the venue, just to see my beautiful cake ruined due to shifting dowels.
But, the silver lining is that you now know about SPS. It will be a lifesaver!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%