Cake Pet Peeves

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 2 Nov 2008 , 4:01am by nickshalfpint

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:06pm
post #61 of 170

I also hate body part cakes!!

Also, I hate filling a piping bag w/ icing, only to find it was too thick/runny for the purpose. Then I have to empty it out, adjust, and refill. (almost the worst part of decorating)

And when something comes out totally different from what I imagined - too often - and i'm happy that noone pays me for what I do. This gives me the liberty to make whatever comes out.

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:12pm
post #62 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Many many people will not agree with me on this....but....I hate body parts cakes! I can't stand the thought of cutting into a belly, or a baby butt...

Especially when it's a red velvet cake!
A friend made one of these for my bachelorette party. I won't go into details, but suffice it to say it was a bit yuck-o. thumbsdown.gif

GenGen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GenGen Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm
post #63 of 170

(i'm sure i'll draw flack for this so please forgive me if i offend)

mine is lack of compassion and understanding. we're all here to learn and many are beginners; of course their going to post pics just like any of the rest of us who are better or worse and are proud of what we've/they've accomplished. don't like it, don't look at it.

i think one cake peeve i have that may not have been mentioned yet (i tried to read everything lol) is that when i'm working on piping on a cake- and people are walking back and forth behind me.. for one, its a big distraction and two the floor moves a bit as they walk behind me; which in turn ruins my work especially if i'm trying to pipe wording.. i'm one of those who aren't that great with piping words so i really have to work hard at it or try again... and again... and again....

jessfmaldonado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jessfmaldonado Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:28pm
post #64 of 170

Oh my goodness, Mine are also the body part cakes, dog cakes, baby cakes, anything that looks alive ewwwwwwwwwwww. I am sorry but it totally grosses me out!!!!! I hope someone never asks me do to one, I just cant!!!!! I just dont like royal icing or buttercream flowers as well!!!! Im sorry I cant stand them!!! Probably because I CANT DO THEM!!!! lol. I just try and try and just cant! I rather gumpaste flowers any day of the week!!!!!

Jessica icon_smile.gif

aundron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aundron Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:29pm
post #65 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitagrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by aundron

Most of you guys have mentioned all of my pet peeves, but wrapping the cakes in saran wrap before I freeze them; is my number one gripe. My other ones are baking the cake and cleaning up the mess!!

Buy a big thing of wrap at Sam's Club....makes it SOOO easy and fast! And cheaper too, way.....per square foot.

Oh good I'm glad this thread is going well! LOL! I thought of it when I looked at a big beautiful perfect fondant bow, that had two little skinny ends sticking out and I was like "AWWW they ruined it!" haha.

My pet peeve in my business is people who want a "tasting" for a birthday cake. icon_confused.gif Or this... "How do your cakes taste?" Ummm well actually they're pretty nasty but most people buy them anyway...... icon_lol.gif Sure.

Also wonky cakes...and I've fallen into this mistake too and I hate it...but the tilted layers being too short...so it looks like a cake that collapsed in on top of itself rather than a true wonky cake. haha. Believe me, when mine did that, I was not happy! Not doing that mistake again...

I do have the big thing of plastic wrap; I still hate it, think it has to do with my lazy chromosome!! icon_lol.gif

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:30pm
post #66 of 170

[quote="Cakemom777"]Many many people will not agree with me on this....but....I hate body parts cakes! I can't stand the thought of cutting into a belly, or a baby butt...

along the same lines I hate to see someone's photo on a cake that is going to be cut up.[/quo

Ahh! I thought I was the only one who noticed this. Especially the baby cakes, it kind of creeps me out the idea of cutting into them, and then EATING it! LoL! icon_lol.gif

pastrylady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pastrylady Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:31pm
post #67 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by melvin01

Oh boy!
My MAIN peeve is mixing all the different colors. I like to do the actual decorating, but by the time I get all the colors I need I'm already tired!! icon_biggrin.gif Okay, not quite. And I don't like when I have to stop what I'm doing to make up another color that I forgot. uck.

I hate mixing colors too...especially when you have to match colors in different mediums, fondant, gumpaste, royal icing...it's such a pain to get the same color out of the different products. Just when you think the colors match, something dries and changes color...

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #68 of 170

[quote="jewelsb78"]cakesbyjen2, blue flowers do actually exist in nature. they are more of a periwinkle but they do exist.

Well, if you can find a bright, turquoise or royal blue rose in nature, I'd love to see it icon_smile.gif ! There are purple roses, but not blue. Blue is a very rare color in nature if you think about it. Lots of purples, but very few true blue flowers.

cherrycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cherrycakes Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:52pm
post #69 of 170

Mine is when a minor catastrophe happens and I get really upset. My husband accuses me of being a perfectionist and that "it's just cake"!!! icon_eek.gif

doughdough Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doughdough Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 7:54pm
post #70 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffstuff

Oh, and also - seeing too many questions on there that are like "I need ideas for..." or "how do I build...?"
I mean, sure we're here to help eachother, but it seems like people don't pause to think for themselves and problem solve on their own. Sometimes it's something so simple. And there are TONS of pictures in the galleries here on CC that we can use to get ideas from.
I guess in general, I feel like some beginning cakers tend to take advantage of the generosity shown here.

First of all, I don't think the OP meant pet peeves about this site specifically, she was asking about general decorating pet peeves. You know, a nice lighthearted thread?

Secondly, CC was created for EVERYONE who likes to decorate, including those who may not have much skill yet.

The whole point is for us to be able to ask ANY question, large or small. Maybe you think it's a dumb question, but I know there are many people who will benefit from someone taking the time to answer it. If you don't care to help, then move on to the next post.

*Getting off soapbox now*

thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:06pm
post #71 of 170

[quote="CakesByJen2"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by jewelsb78

cakesbyjen2, blue flowers do actually exist in nature. they are more of a periwinkle but they do exist.

Well, if you can find a bright, turquoise or royal blue rose in nature, I'd love to see it icon_smile.gif ! There are purple roses, but not blue. Blue is a very rare color in nature if you think about it. Lots of purples, but very few true blue flowers.

i guess if you want to get techincal icon_wink.gif your right, hehe. i love blue and i love roses. so i will live in my fantasy land were blue roses are plentiful. icon_biggrin.gif

sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #72 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[
Since I frequently cut other bakery's and other baker's cakes, my BIG peeve is overdoweling! HATE cutting cakes with 97 dowels in a 10" cake! (ok ok maybe it didn't have THAT many, but it DID have too many!). The cake is a big crumbly mess when it's being cut and people think I'm the one doing the bad job cutting it, when it's all the holes in the cake that's causing the crumbling!

Is there some sort of guide somewhere that says how many dowels are needed to support different size cakes?
I think i may be one of those over-doweling people. icon_redface.gif Its not so bad since i often am the one cutting the cake. I just pull them out as i go, and i know where they are. BUT..if someone else were to cut the cake they may feel just like you...yikes..straws everywhere! icon_redface.gif

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 9:59pm
post #73 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrycakes

Mine is when a minor catastrophe happens and I get really upset. My husband accuses me of being a perfectionist and that "it's just cake"!!! icon_eek.gif

This is why I'm sooo grateful for Ace of Cakes! My husband witnessed a couple of my faux-pas before he saw Duff make similar mistakes.

I had no idea that he truly thought I didn't know what the h*** I was doing until he said, "Oh! If things like happen to him... (blahblahblah)"

Sweetcravings: Dowels. It's more important that they withstand the weight of what will be above them and that there is one in the center, no matter how small the top tier is. I had 4 dowels under a 6" cake without a center dowel; when I pushed a flower into the bottom I just happened to push in on one of the dowels, but I had no idea until that 6" cake smashed into the tier below it.

For a large cake, 5 supports in a ring and one in the middle should suffice.

I do wish someone could bake, fill, crumb coat and cover my cakes in fondant and leave just the decorating up to me icon_rolleyes.gif . Like Duff has going on for him, lol.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #74 of 170

No keywords in the galleries!! I've spent so much time thinking, "I know I saw that gorgeous flag cake a couple of months ago! Maybe it's in the 4th of July gallery? Maybe the military one? The retirement one? Where is it????" icon_cry.gificon_cry.gif

I know it takes a couple of minutes, but then when someone is searching for examples of an idea, all of these great ideas are at their fingertips!

And of course all the ones mentioned here: clean up, making buttercream, the bc ridge at the top of the cake, etc., etc . . .

nannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannie Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:17pm
post #75 of 170

tcbalgord

You read my mind... icon_eek.gif

There is a definite disconnect between my imagination and my execution. I've just done 2 cakes in a row that just didn't come out right. I'm just a hobbyist and think and am going to take a break to regroup. This is supposed to be fun icon_cry.gif

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #76 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Quote:
Originally Posted by indydebi

[
Since I frequently cut other bakery's and other baker's cakes, my BIG peeve is overdoweling! HATE cutting cakes with 97 dowels in a 10" cake! (ok ok maybe it didn't have THAT many, but it DID have too many!). The cake is a big crumbly mess when it's being cut and people think I'm the one doing the bad job cutting it, when it's all the holes in the cake that's causing the crumbling!

Is there some sort of guide somewhere that says how many dowels are needed to support different size cakes?
I think i may be one of those over-doweling people. icon_redface.gif Its not so bad since i often am the one cutting the cake. I just pull them out as i go, and i know where they are. BUT..if someone else were to cut the cake they may feel just like you...yikes..straws everywhere! icon_redface.gif

Let Indy howl all she wants. You put in enough dowel for that cake to be safe and secure. Do NOT under dowel or think somebody's gonna judge you for an extra couple dowel.

I mean you wanna face the potential of a fallen cake just 'cause Indy cuts cakes not set up right sometimes?? Don't go there.

thumbs_up.gif

Honeychild Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Honeychild Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #77 of 170

As an RN in a busy teaching hospital, I frequently work with student nurses as well as new nursing staff, and medical residents. I make it crystal clear that "no question is a dumb question". How are you supposed to know something you've never seen or done before? That is the premise at CC. Not everyone here is a seasoned professional, many are new at the art of cake decorating. Be flattered someone asks you a question, no matter how 'basic' it seems. Someone is trusting your expertise. Remember, no matter how much experience you have, the learning process never ends! Also, I hope some of the comments made in this thread will not discourage anyone from posting there pictures. At the end of the day, the hard work put into making a decorative cake or other confection is reason enough to be proud of your work and want to share it with others who appreciate this culinary craft. (even if the evidence of your hard work sticks out in the background, ie., pastry bags, flour, etc.,!) icon_lol.gif I started from zero before I found this site, and I tell you the wealth of information is astounding, I hope everyone continues to share their knowledge. icon_smile.gif

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:37pm
post #78 of 170

my biggest pet peeves are with buttercream

like when i don't make enough of a certain color frosting. and i make my border only to find out i have this much |-----------------| left and not enough frosting! AHHHH!!!!!

also, when i have an air bubble in the pastry bag and it splurts out everywhere!

oh, and writing. i can write like a champ on paper, but as soon as i move to cake, it's like my hands go stupid on me.

mustang1964 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mustang1964 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #79 of 170

My pet peeves are getting a cake almost done only to realize I have to make more frosting icon_mad.gif and the parchment paper bag breaking in the middle of decorating. icon_cry.gif

Michelle104 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Michelle104 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:33am
post #80 of 170

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have to chime in on the questions asked....I was a newbie, still pretty much am, so when I can answer any post at all I try to. I hate it when I don't get any responses at all to a question so I try not to let this happen to anyone if I can help it. And if anyone takes the time to ask me a question about any of my cakes, whether by pm or in my photo comments I take that as a huge compliment! I just love that people here look at my stuff and take the time to make a comment! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 12:51am
post #81 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle104

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I have to chime in on the questions asked....I was a newbie, still pretty much am, so when I can answer any post at all I try to. I hate it when I don't get any responses at all to a question so I try not to let this happen to anyone if I can help it. And if anyone takes the time to ask me a question about any of my cakes, whether by pm or in my photo comments I take that as a huge compliment! I just love that people here look at my stuff and take the time to make a comment! thumbs_up.gifthumbs_up.gif

Amen!!!! I so agree with you about this Michelle. I've been at this for 20 plus years and I can honestly say I've learned more in this past month on CC than in any of the classes I've taken in the past. This is because of the kindness and generosity of all the great people that have answered my questions and everyone elses too. I hope I don't ever get to the point in my life where I think I know everything there is to know about cake baking/decorating, (or anything else for that matter) If that day comes, I may as well pack away my KA and hang up my apron! I would imagine it would get pretty boring if I knew EVERYTHING about it!

For the posters on this forum that are tired of the "Newbie's" amateur questions and pictures......read and absorb my quotes below. Let's not forget where we ALL came from. This site is for every level not just for experts. icon_smile.gif

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:12am
post #82 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkelly27

I've been at this for 20 plus years and I can honestly say I've learned more in this past month on CC than in any of the classes I've taken in the past.

Were we separated at birth? I say the same thing .. 25 years doing cakes and I"ve learned more on here in 2 years than I have my entire lifetime on my own.

Sometimes I chuckle at the questions .... but only because I recognize them as questions I asked when I first joined, too! icon_redface.gif We get new members everyday.

KeltoKel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KeltoKel Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:35am
post #83 of 170

Goodness, sometimes I think this is snob central and not cake central. When I first read the question, I interpreted it as "things that bug us while decorating a cake..." i.e. - icing, clean up, roses, borders, bags, etc.

The thread is turning into, "things that bug us about people on CC..." Not the same thing! Putting people down for simple cakes is just rude. You have no idea who the person is who made that cake.

With that said, I also loathe clean up. Mostly because I do not have a dishwasher (well, I am in the middle of a kitchen remodel and I will have one soon). But I always have to soak my tips and bags in very hot water with soap for several hours or days. I am so happy to be getting a dishwasher!

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #84 of 170

My biggest decorating pet peeve is that I can not write on a cake to save my life!! I think it has something to do w/ being left handed maybe? Or maybe that's just my excuse..lol. I also hate that I can never seem to get my bc perfectly smooth, but I guess that comes w/ time and practice.

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:52am
post #85 of 170

I think my biggest pet peeve is when I have this great idea for a cake and it turns out nothing near what I had in mind. I also hate feeling rushed icon_smile.gif

Just a side note. I'm new to this forum and to cake decorating. While I do try to do my own research when I have a question, I thought I could come to CC with my tough questions. Judging from some of the previous comments, it seems like that might not be a good idea.
It's too bad my first cakes didn't come out picture perfect like it seems some other people's have...

BCJean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BCJean Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #86 of 170

OK, guess I answered this question wrong. If it has to be about your own decorating and nothing to do with the cc site.
My pet peeve would be when someone tries to chit chat with me while I am decorating. They can watch all they want, or talk...but don't expect me to answer, my mind is always thinking; this needs to go right there, and next I will put something in that spot, the border is going to have to be narrow, I need to leave space for the inscription, wow that worked just as planned.........I am in cake decorating orbit and do not wish to be brought down to earth until I am finished.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #87 of 170

Yay!!! Most Cake Central-ers are wonderful, understanding, and helpful!!! They are the only thing that keeps me coming back here. When I was a newbie on Cake Central (I now know that I'm probably still considered a Newbie around here because my cakes are not up to par) I fell in love w/ Cake Central, but then little by little I had gotten turned off by some of the meanies icon_sad.gif . I came to my senses and came back because I learn so much from the true, sharing professionals. I've never heard pros like Lorraine (Aine) complain; she puts out tutorials to help us average shmos thumbs_up.gif

3GCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
3GCakes Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #88 of 170

I also hate buying cute cupcake papers only to find out that once you bake in them, you can't tell what the heck the design is!

Also, I hate that my kitchen is not set up to hold all my stuff....so it is in cabinets, in my bit Fat Max tool box, in my little tool box, in a box in the basement, in the sheet cake pan that I put in the oven to get it off the kitchen table so I could serve dinner.....etc....

And I hate finding the little triangle of tip from my disposable decorating bags for the next few days after I decorate....or when I cut the triangle just a wee bit too far, and the couple pops out!!! UGGGGGH!

cous2010 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cous2010 Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #89 of 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cakemom777

Also, I hate that my kitchen is not set up to hold all my stuff....so it is in cabinets, in my bit Fat Max tool box, in my little tool box, in a box in the basement, in the sheet cake pan that I put in the oven to get it off the kitchen table so I could serve dinner.....etc....

WOW! I hate my kitchen too! I have my totes and stuff stacked on my dogs kennel, half of my pantry is holding pans and such, and the pans are holding the little things that don't fit in my tote...no room. My oven is the smallest oven EVER INVENTED. There isn't even enough flat space to roll fondant corectly...I can't wait to move icon_smile.gif

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #90 of 170

I hate it when one tip gets stuck inside another and I've looked for it for 30 mins and I finally find it IN one I've looked at 100 times!
Or when I get a blow-out. It always seems to land on the cake.. Oh nooo..it couldn't land just an inch or so over and on the table!! icon_mad.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%