What Did I Do Wrong????

Decorating By Rose_N_Crantz Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm by sarahpierce

Rose_N_Crantz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #1 of 8

So I practiced making MMF tonight and it didn't turn out at all. It's very lumpy and hard. So hard my mixer can't even mix it, the dough hook has trouble turning. I followed the recipe, I don't understand what happened. I tried kneading it together with my hands but it's way too hard.

Is there any way I can salvage it?

7 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #2 of 8

Maybe you can save it--try zapping in the microwave for like 3-5 seconds at a time and see if that doesn't loosen it up enough to knead to by hand. Don't cook it just warm it carefully in short bursts.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:20am
post #3 of 8

Kay, tried that. A little softer, but still won't combine. Is there any wet ingredient I could add to make it come together?

andysprite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
andysprite Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:24am
post #4 of 8

You might try working a little more Crisco into it. I have found that it MMF works much better to only add about 3/4 of the powdered sugar it. It leaves the fondant extremely soft and you can add more sugar as needed.

Rose_N_Crantz Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:50am
post #5 of 8

ahhh, I see. I just just thinking about kneading in a bit of crisco. I'll make a note on my recipe sheet to add less sugar than I think I'll need.

So I think this batch is going to have to go in the trash. It did taste good, but it was almost impossible to work with. Should you work up a sweat trying to roll it out? Something tells me it shouldn't be that hard.

Thanks for the advice everyone!

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #6 of 8

you should not work up a sweat kneading it. you only need like half to 3/4 bag of ps. I don't add any crisco or water, just 2 teaspoons of flavoring. nuke 1 bag mm with flavoring for 2 minutes. stir until all melty. pour out onto greased counter covered with your ps and knead. voila! you have mmf icon_smile.gif

revel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
revel Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 6:34am
post #7 of 8

And make sure the marshmellows aren't to hot when you add the sugar! It makes those little hard clumps!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm
post #8 of 8

Also, be careful using your mixer with the MMF. There was a thread on here a while back where people were burning out their mixers trying to mix MMF. Good luck with your next try thumbs_up.gif !

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%