Hey I Had An Idea While At The Craft Store For Cookies....

Baking By KHalstead Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 12:36am by KHalstead

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:47pm
post #1 of 4

I was at A.C. Moore yesterday and was walking around aimlessly looking for things (not in the cake deco. aisle) that could be used for cakes or cookies when I happened on a ton of sun catchers. I thought hmmm...I wonder if I could use the suncatcher itself as a template for a cookie, to cut them out...and then use it as a sort of stamp to imprint the fondant before I put it on the cookies??? I always see all those really cool fondant covered cookies with imprinted designs and wondered if this would work??? I don't have time to make cookies anytime soon but I got a couple (they were .50 each) I got one that's a dalmation (my DD LOVES them) and one that looks like a birthday cake with 6 candles sticking out of it and one that was a pretty cross design (I have to make cookies in a couple months for a missionary conference)...but I'm thinking this might work, what do you think??

3 replies
Peeverly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Peeverly Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:46pm
post #2 of 4

I have done this before. The first thing you need to know is that the black paint on the suncatchers comes off. What I did was wash them really well and then take a scrub pad and scrub off the black that covers the imprint lines (do you know what I mean??). I felt that they were food safe at this point. They work well with fondant and they also work well for kind of pushing the imprint into the cookie before they are baked. You do have to be careful not to push too hard so you don't flatten the dough too much. I have collected lots of them over the past year. I have so much stuff (cookie cutters, stamps, suncatchers) that I am running out of room. So, go ahead and give it a try. I did the flip flops that are in my photos (they are with my Hawaiian cookies) with a sun catcher.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 11:55pm
post #3 of 4

I use a similar idea with the clip art books available. Use a pattern transfer and you can come up with some very cool cookies! icon_biggrin.gif

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:36am
post #4 of 4

awesome...good to know about the black paint peeverly! Your cookies rock!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%