Made Michelle Fosters Fondant And Had To Add Alot More Sugar

Decorating By grossoutqueen Updated 22 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm by weirkd

grossoutqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grossoutqueen Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:37pm
post #1 of 10

I made my first batch of fondant last week and it was Michelle Fosters recipe that I got from CC.

Well it turned out yummy but I wound up having to add 2 or 3 MORE boxes (lbs) of conf. sugar than it called for. It was sooo sticky that I couldn't even knead it without adding all that extra sugar. Has this happened to anyone else with this recipe or any other?

My other question is, if the fondant has the amount of sugar the recipe calls for and it is still sticky (really sticky) if I let it sit overnight, wrapped up, will that help? I am new at fondant....
Thanks guys!

9 replies
Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 10

Sorry that you had problems. There are several things that could have caused you to need to add so much extra powdered sugar. It should not be sticky when you wrap it. It will be too soft to use and you will have to knead in more powdered sugar to use it. Then it will be much harder to do.

One of the things that could be problem is high humidity. This is only a small part of the problem. The amount of liquid used is very important. Even the smallest amount can make a difference in how much powdered sugar is added. It doesn't take much liquid to make any powdered sugar icing too soft.

The temperature of the liquid could possibly be a problem, too. If it was still very warm or hot, then it will take more powdered sugar to work. This will backfire in the end. By the time is comes to room temperature, then it will probably be much too stiff to knead. This can only be fixed by kneading in fresh fondant. It's not a fun or easy job, but it one way to not have to waste the ingredients.

Fondant is not like many recipes. Many things can affect the consistency of it. It will not take the same amount of powdered sugar every time you make it. Any flavor additions can also change the amount of powdered sugar as well.

I'm glad you liked the taste of it. It just takes a little practice to get used to making it.

HTH

Michele

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 10

I find that if you wait to use it then its less sticky. I usually add the milk mixture when its still warm and after its mixed I spray my hands with cooking spray and scrape the bowl onto a piece of either wax paper or press and seal wrap. Then I roll it up and stick it in a ziploc and dont use it for 8 hours. Then I find that its fine. I also sometimes add a tablespoon of gum trag to it and its really just as good as Satin Ice if not better tasting!
And Michele is right, a lot of things can affect it. I know Ive used several other recipes of fondant from the pro's and never could get them to work for me. I thought that it was some kind of conspiracy or something!! But Michele's works for me, every time. Ive never had a problem with it like Ive had with the others!

SMcDonald Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SMcDonald Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:50am
post #4 of 10

I just had the very same problem this last week. I don't think I let the milk mixture cool enough and ended up having to use a lot more sugar than the recipe called for. The problem with that was when I went to use it 6 days later it bascially just fell apart from being too stiff. Through a little experimentation I realized that I could take small sections at a time so it was easier to work with, knead them to soften it up a little, then as I completed each section I added them all together and kneaded that. Also, I found that if I occasionally kneaded in a little shortening it added that smooth consistency that is needed for fondant. It was a really big pain, but much better than having to make it over. I tried it and I don't think the shortening changed the flavor at all, it just made it much easier to work with. Before I added the shortening it basically just cracked and broke on the cake and after it was awesome.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 4:51am
post #5 of 10

Ohhhhh.. that explains it. I have only used fondant a few times. The first time I made the recipe from the Wilton yearbook. I just used it for something yesterday, and after it had sat overnight, it was hard and crumbly, so I added shortening to it in order to use it, and that made it pliable and shiny. I have also used the Michele Foster Fondant, and I like the taste better, but I also had to add a ton more sugar than what the recipe says. However, I have no patience, so I added the liquid pretty much as soon as the butter melts (ie I don't wait for it to cool). What I did was use the amount in the recipe, mix in it my kitchenaid with a doughhook, then put it on plastic wrap that I have brushed with vegetable oil or rubbed with crisco, whichever I have handy, wrap it up and put it in a ziplock and leave it for a few hours (I am a procrastinator, so it is more like I will make it late at night and use the next morning or make in the morning and use that night). Then when I take it out, I knead it and add a lot more sugar to it. I have not tried adding crisco to it (I assume that would make it shiny -- is fondant supposed to be shiny or matte?). The crisco-y shiny wilton fondant was probably easier to work with, but I like the taste of the MF fondant better. I will have to try a little patience next time and let the mixture cool.

I'm glad you posted this question because I was wondering the same thing. I've been thinking about getting a small box of premade wilton fondant just to see what the texture is supposed to be like, because I haven't had two batches turn out the same yet (out of 2 recipes and about 6 or 7 tries).

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #6 of 10

before i made michele's fondant, i did NOT know what fondant is supposed to feel or look like LOL when i made it, I suddenly realized while kneading that yes, this is how it's supposed to be. it JUST feels right. it's easy to knead, yet it doesn't stick. it's not wet and it's not dry. it's just perfect.

i have covered my first cake using Michele's fondant and i love it. if i didn't use her recipe i would've died. but her recipe's is just great. i was able to roll it thinly too.

just follow her instructions. i personally think it's better to add LESS sugar than more.

margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 7:02am
post #7 of 10

I guess the guys where DH works will be getting a treat, because I want to try the fondant recipe again, and if I make fondant, might as well put it on a cake. And if we have an extra cake sitting around, might as well send it with him to work. (I feel like a Laura Numeroff book.) DH started subcontracting with a new company right before I had to make a wedding cake, so I sent the experiments with him to work. I told him I'm doing my part to make sure he never gets fired!

weirkd Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:51pm
post #8 of 10

margretb, I suggest going with something like Satin Ice to find out what fondant is suppose to be like. Wilton fondant IS NOT how fondant is suppose to be at all! Doesnt have the same consistancy or taste. If you work will some Satin Ice then you will be able to work with Michele's recipe no problem.
I highly suggest skipping the Wilton unless you want to use it to cover a cake board or dummy.

margaretb Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 5:53pm
post #9 of 10

I was going to get Wilton because that's what they sell at Michael's and I think I can get a small box for around $5. I'll have to check out some online vendors for satin ice. Thanks for the warning.

weirkd Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:13pm
post #10 of 10

Yah, its ok for playing with and using for stuff that isnt going to be consumed but its horrible to eat! Even with adding stuff to it, it still doesnt taste that great. But its great for covering cake boards!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%