Wedding Cake Questions,

Decorating By belle1627 Updated 23 Sep 2008 , 12:23am by belle1627

belle1627 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
belle1627 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 11

First off this site is incredible, it has provided me with hours of jaw dropping fun, the cakes on here are amazing.

Now I need some help. I am making a 4 tiered wedding cake for a friend, my first and let me say has caused me to lose some sleep lol She wants it 12-10-8-6 black and white fondant alternating. I bought chocolate Satin Ice (which tastes great) and will colour it black. She also wants it chocolate and white cake alternating. So here are my questions:

1. The wedding is on a Sat. I do not have the luxury of refriderating these cakes, I want to have the cake made for Friday, I am going to the wedding and want to drop off the cake in the morning and come home to get ready which means my fillings need to be able to sit unrefrigerated, (inside wedding, end of Sept). Any suggestions??? PLEASE!!

2. When I am rolling out the black fondant, how do I get it not to stick, obviously using icing sugar is white and I do not want to discolour my black fondant?

Thank you for you ideas and suggestions, I really appreciate the help. icon_smile.gif

10 replies
Malakin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Malakin Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:37pm
post #2 of 11

Most fillings made without cream, eggs, etc. will be able to be left sitting out. Collete Peters has a list of a few. I like whipped chocolate ganache and then for others I add liquer, flavoring, or jams to the BC.
I would think that using a very little shortening will keep the fondant from sticking when you roll it out.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #3 of 11

You really need to buy black SatinIce also. Then roll it out on a *lightly* greased counter. None of the sleeved fillings need refrigeration.

stlouiscake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
stlouiscake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:20pm
post #4 of 11

I just want to second Leah's suggestion to get the black SatinIce. It is so much easier than coloring the chocolate fondant.

leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 10:45pm
post #5 of 11

Oh! How could I forget? You'll want to use SPS as your support system so that you can stack ahead of time, deliver, set it down and then enjoy the wedding.

belle1627 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #6 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by leahs

You really need to buy black SatinIce also. Then roll it out on a *lightly* greased counter. None of the sleeved fillings need refrigeration.

Don't know about these sleeved fillings or where I can find them, what exactly is it??

Thanks for the help.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 3:31am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by belle1627

Quote:

Don't know about these sleeved fillings or where I can find them, what exactly is it??

Thanks for the help.

http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx
If that link doesn't work right, just type in "filling" in their search box at the top of the screen.

deliciously_decadent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deliciously_decadent Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:43am
post #8 of 11

lways use regular icing sugar when working with black fondant once i am done all i do is brush over with clear alcohol (vodka or gin etc) and voila the icing sugar is gone! just my way of dealing with that issue lol!! are you in a hot climate or cold? (australia v's US etc) if its hot I would assume the room would be airconditioned and so would not be an issue for early set up. if hot i would just check the heating temp with the reception venue and that should be able to tell you if you can leave it or not but i would assume (unless it is extremely headted) that it will be absolutely fine. Colouring the chocolate fondant is no problem either (i have never seen black fondant available in australia, what a novelty!!) I would advise that you ise fillings that do not require refrigeration any way as fondant doesn't particularly love refrigeration any way icon_biggrin.gif espaecially a four tier (if it sweats you may have sliding issues or worse black dripping on white icon_sad.gif ) hope i could help???

belle1627 Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 8:55pm
post #9 of 11

Thank you all for your advice. I am in Canada and it is Fall here, nice cool weather.

Can I use pie filling, is that the same as the sleeved?

leah_s Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #10 of 11

Really, any cake supplies store will carry sleeved fillings. Not a craft store, but a cake supplies store.

Your Forum info/profile (what appears under your name) doesn't show where you're from. Maybe if you'd give us your city someone will know specifically where to buy them.

belle1627 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:23am
post #11 of 11
Quote:

Really, any cake supplies store will carry sleeved fillings. Not a craft store, but a cake supplies store.

Your Forum info/profile (what appears under your name) doesn't show where you're from. Maybe if you'd give us your city someone will know specifically where to buy them.

I am in Ontario, Canada. There is a cake supply store but no where near me unfortunately.

Thanks again.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%