Selling To Stores?

Decorating By lmn4881 Updated 27 Sep 2008 , 2:06am by leah_s

lmn4881 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:43pm
post #1 of 8

There is a small basketry store here that I'm interested in selling to. I'm going to make some NFSC and some cocoa cones and take them over to see if they would be interested in having them in their store.

I have a lot of questions though.....

Any suggestions on getting this going?
DO we need some kind of contract?
Does anyone have a sample contract for this?

Thanks for any help!

7 replies
lmn4881 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #2 of 8

Doesn't anyone have any experience with this?

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #3 of 8

I don't have any tips, BUT I was wanting to do the same thing with a little specialty/boutique store in my town. Need to get up the courage and go ask if they would be interested in stocking two or three of my cakes for the weekends. I suppose it would be sort of like selling furniture on consignment, huh? They would get a commission, or I guess you could sell to them, and they would do whatever marking up they felt necessary.

I hope someone has some suggestions, I'll be checking back here myself...good luck!

indydebi Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:55pm
post #4 of 8

Check your state labeling laws. Many times, if you are selling to a person/business ("wholesale"), who will be re-selling them to end-users ("retail"), you may be required to label them with nutrition and ingredient info. This varies from state to state, I think.

__Jamie__ Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 9:56pm
post #5 of 8

Thanks indydebi! I need to research that stuff BEFORE I get visions of $$$ in my head I guess!

OhMyGanache Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:22pm
post #6 of 8

If you do need to label, there is a free online program you can use. It's great - I use it to calculate calories in different recipes too.

I'm on my blackberry now, so I don't have the link, but if you're interested, send me a PM.

farmom3 Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 10:28pm
post #7 of 8

PoleKitten COULD YOU PLEASE send me the link too .thank you so much

leah_s Posted 27 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #8 of 8

I've done it. Just make sure you are licensed, because the Health Department *will* be at your door. I had to get a catering license in my state.

Quote by @%username% on %date%