I Found The Perfect Edible Pearls.......

Decorating By Crissy_Cakes Updated 15 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm by aligotmatt

Crissy_Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crissy_Cakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #1 of 25

So I have a cake next week that I'm serious, has about 300+ pearls on it. icon_evil.gif Now normally I make my own by just rolling tiny fondant ones (I personally hate picking off non-edible dragees so I don't make my customers do the same) but I'm sorry people, who has time to roll 300+! Not me. icon_sad.gif

Well I left the cake store rather depressed because they only had non-edible dragees thumbsdown.gif .............then I went to A.C. Moore.
Oh did I squeal like a little girl (oh yes I did, those people are lucky I didn't start dancing) when in the wedding favor section I found "Wilton Peppermint Pearls" (about 200 pcs a bag for $3).
These babies look just like medium dragees and they taste like tic-tacs..............and best of all, Luster Dust loves them. icon_biggrin.gif

I just had to share - I'm so returning my $12 worth of non-edible teeth destroyers on Monday.

24 replies
sweetcravings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetcravings Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:31pm
post #2 of 25

I'm glad you found something that will work for you. I can't imagine the time it would take to make that many pearls.
My only concern would be that the peppermint flavor will transfer to the icing? The only reason i mention it is years ago i made a hulk cake and used peppermint chicklets for his teeth and anywhere he had the teeth the icing took on that pepperment taste.

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:34pm
post #3 of 25

good for you!!!! that is very tedious work and so what if the icing tastes a little like mint................refreshing icon_lol.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:03pm
post #4 of 25

I just checked the Wilton web site. Of course, they're out of stock! icon_sad.gif

I'm having them notify me by email when they're back in stock. Thanks for the tip!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:43pm
post #5 of 25

Hmmm. I wonder if cake supply stores around here have them?

raquel1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
raquel1 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:47pm
post #6 of 25

This is my kind of tip! icon_biggrin.gif Cheap and great!

sweetcravings Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #7 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariu

good for you!!!! that is very tedious work and so what if the icing tastes a little like mint................refreshing icon_lol.gif

I wasn't trying to rain on her parade. I think its a very creative idea and can certainly save time BUT>>>300+peppermint pearls may overwhelm the cake flavor. I just didn't want her to run into any problems. I think it best to try it out first. Peppermint in very small quantities is very strong. thumbs_up.gif

Jocmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jocmom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #8 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetcravings

Quote:

I wasn't trying to rain on her parade. I think its a very creative idea and can certainly save time BUT>>>300+peppermint pearls may overwhelm the cake flavor. I just didn't want her to run into any problems. I think it best to try it out first. Peppermint in very small quantities is very strong. thumbs_up.gif

I agree - that's a lot of mint on one cake.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:25pm
post #9 of 25

I think www.earlenescakes.com has plain pearls in different sizes that you can roll in luster dust. She's quick on sending out stuff. I'm in Ohio and get my order from Texas in three days usually. Just an idea maybe for a later date. Good luck!!!!

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #10 of 25

I actually use the amaco bead roller. The downside is you can't make small pearls, but it does well for regular sized pearls. It also allows you to do an elongated bead as well as a diamond shaped bead.

flbeachbummom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flbeachbummom Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #11 of 25

I actually use the amaco bead roller. The downside is you can't make small pearls, but it does well for regular sized pearls. It also allows you to do an elongated bead as well as a diamond shaped bead.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #12 of 25

Why wouldn't purchased "edible" pearls be OK to eat. I buy them by the kilo. Dragees - with silver/gold metallic coating are the only ones not edible. The purchased ones might be hard, but they are edible.

Crissy_Cakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:30am
post #13 of 25

Sweetcravings: You know I never stopped for a second to consider that the mint taste may seep into the cake - the good thing is that the taste isn't overwhelming at all so I'm hoping that is my one saving grace. I just went and put a ton of them on a tablespoon of buttercream so I can see what happens (I'm going to leave them there until Monday evening).I'll make sure to let you all know the outcome - the cake is for a close friend of mine so she'll be sure to tell me if it had a distinct flavor icon_biggrin.gif

And debster, thanks for the great website information - I just ordered a ton of stuff I probably don't need but totally have been looking for.

Leah: Totally with you chicka but unfortuantly my local cake store didn't have a huge selection and had zero edible pearls. I would have ordered them online but the order was a last minute one.

SugarFrosted Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarFrosted Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #14 of 25

Have a look at these pearls:

http://www.confectioneryhouse.com/product.php?productid=3414&cat=307&page=1

They come in various sizes and colors, as well as "unfinished."

Crissy_Cakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:28am
post #15 of 25

icon_eek.gif
Oh holy crap, I love this site sugarfrosted - thank you!

sweetcravings Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #16 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crissy_Cakes

Sweetcravings: You know I never stopped for a second to consider that the mint taste may seep into the cake - the good thing is that the taste isn't overwhelming at all so I'm hoping that is my one saving grace. I just went and put a ton of them on a tablespoon of buttercream so I can see what happens (I'm going to leave them there until Monday evening).I'll make sure to let you all know the outcome - the cake is for a close friend of mine so she'll be sure to tell me if it had a distinct flavor .

Do let us know..anything to save time and that is cheap is a good tip indeed.
I think it's smart of you to try it on the buttercream. Hate to ruin a good cake on something like that.
When i had the problem with the chicklets leaving their peppermint flavor behind, it was only noticable on the buttercream that had come into contact with it. Thankfully hulk's mouth was a small area of the cake.

Good luck. Let us know what happens.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:35pm
post #17 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Holy CRAP! icon_eek.gif that's expensive. I buy by the kilo from AvalonDeco and if I remember correctly there're something like $12/$14 per kilo. (2.2 pounds) Plus shipping. And I get them in 3 days or less. AvalonDeco is in NY.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 8:11pm
post #18 of 25

leahs.................you mind posting the site? Also do you know anyone that has good deals on Satin Ice? Thanks

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 2:03am
post #19 of 25

hi,
sorry if i came off the wrong way...i know you were not raining on her parade sweetcravings, i just thought she found something great that i've been looking for lol. icon_wink.gif

sweetcravings Posted 6 Oct 2008 , 1:35pm
post #20 of 25
Quote:

hi,
sorry if i came off the wrong way...i know you were not raining on her parade sweetcravings, i just thought she found something great that i've been looking for lol. icon_wink.gif

No hard feelings here....I too love a good tip.

I wonder how it turned out, if the peppermint infused the buttercream? It would be wonderful to find something inexpensive and less time consuming for this task. I hope she posts how the cake went.

Crissy_Cakes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:30am
post #21 of 25

Oh ladies I'm truly sorry I never posted how the cake turned out, I completely lost track of this thread.
.........but guess what? The peppermint flavor did not infuse after being in the buttercream for three days! However, the luster came completely off them...just dissappeared icon_mad.gif
On word of warning though, they are exteremly hard to work with if you are trying to go with all the same size....I had to pick and choose and probably spent well over an hour more than I needed to.

Frankyola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Frankyola Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 8:40am
post #22 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by SugarFrosted

Thank You so much for the link thumbs_up.gif

grama_j Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grama_j Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 9:53am
post #23 of 25

Chrissy....... are these "hard" like dragees, or soft like fondant when you bite into them ? I ordered some that were just termed "edible", and they were hard as rocks...... I finally wound up putting them in a plastic bag with a slice of bread, and they softened right up........ ( my Mom's trick for keeping cookies soft)........

sugarwishes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarwishes Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 12:57pm
post #24 of 25

i started buying them at ac moore before i even heard of dragees. they're great! they carry them only at ac moore in the wedding section.

aligotmatt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aligotmatt Posted 15 Jan 2009 , 1:12pm
post #25 of 25

The edible pearls from Confectionery House and GSA come hard, but once they sit on the cake start to become soft. I thought they would stay hard, but on my coral and pearls cake, one fell off at delivery and I picked it up and it was mushy!! I think putting them on hard is probably a lot easier than putting them on soft.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%