Are These Kitchen Scales Good? Clearance Sale 17.48

Decorating By dolittle Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 5:36am by chefjulie

dolittle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolittle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:13pm
post #1 of 12

Are these kitchen scales any good? I just got them on clearance at Target 17.48 . icon_confused.gif

http://www.target.com/Chefmate-Digital-Glass-Scale/dp/B0013KOLUQ/ref=sc_ri_1/601-6837380-8381727

11 replies
Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:46pm
post #2 of 12

It is very cool looking. I didn't see if it had a tare feature. If it does, I'm sure it does, very cool. I might get one just for the cool fator icon_biggrin.gif

Mike

dolittle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:56pm
post #3 of 12

Thanks Mike! It does have the Tare feature. icon_smile.gif

I haven't looked into the scales enough to know if it was good enough for my baking needs or not .I had read on lots of post I need it. I was going to put it on my Christmas list but ran across this one today.

It only weighs up to 9 pounds is that O.K.? icon_confused.gif

Thanks again!

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #4 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by dolittle

Thanks Mike! It does have the Tare feature. icon_smile.gif

I haven't looked into the scales enough to know if it was good enough for my baking needs or not .I had read on lots of post I need it. I was going to put it on my Christmas list but ran across this one today.

It only weighs up to 9 pounds is that O.K.? icon_confused.gif

Thanks again!

That should be fine unless your doing big batches. For a cake, what I like to do is weigh my sugar, and butter right in the mixing bowl. Then while that is creaming I weight all my other ingredients out in separte bowls. I put a plastic container with mesh screen, hit the tare button. Then I can weight, and sift my flour, and baking powder at the same time.
So it's not like your having all of your ingredients on the scale at one time. Welcome to the darkside of American baking LOLOL

Mike

terrig007 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terrig007 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:05pm
post #5 of 12

Dumb question but did you get this at the store or online? I think it's wwwaaaayyyy cool too!

dolittle Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 12

Thanks Mike I just played with them! I really liked it !! icon_biggrin.gif

terrigoo7 I got it at the store. They have lots of things on clearance today. icon_smile.gif

seagoat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seagoat Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:45pm
post #7 of 12

Looks like an accident waiting to happen for my kitchen. I think it would be cool for a normal kitchen tho!

I need a scale too. Think I'll have to wait for something more sturdy...looking

Thanks for the heads up dolittle

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 12:42am
post #8 of 12

Hmm, looks like something off of Star Trek!

Yep, I'd make a mess of that thing in a second. Glass in the kitchen also scares me. I love the restaurant supply store. All of our drinking "glasses" are those red textured ones like you get at the local diner. icon_smile.gif

dolittle Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:38am
post #9 of 12

You know I was worried about that too.I put my 5 Quart kitchenaid mixing bowl on there with two 2lb. bags of powdered suger in it. It didn't tip over or act like it was going to.
The glass is the thick unbreakable safty glass.
I've been playing with it and it's not bad for the price.I'll let you know how it works out.

My DH said Star Trek called they want there scales back. LOL icon_lol.gif
He thought the same thing as you Michelle. icon_smile.gif

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 12

Pyrex are supposedly unbreakable, but I managed to break a measuring cup at work one day and got harrassed for months about breaking an unbreakable object. I know, nothing is truly unbreakable.....

Oh, and ask my family what happens when you leave a Pyrex baking dish on top of the stove and forget to turn off the burner.....we eat out for dinner is what happens. LOL! Did you ever see tuna fish casserole explode all over a kitchen? I did. icon_smile.gif

dolittle Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 2:04am
post #11 of 12

I know I could break it . Just give me a week ! LOL icon_lol.gif

I chiped my pyrex mesuring cup ! icon_eek.gif

Yes I have broken the pyrex pan on top of the stove because the eye was left on but it was brownies.It didn't explode but brownies with glass in them just isn't a good thing. icon_lol.gif

chefjulie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chefjulie Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 5:36am
post #12 of 12

I actually just bought this one yesterday, too!! It $24.98 (on clearance) at my target, but it was just too cool to pass up! I've already used it several times and I am in loooooooove!! I love the tare feature (the one I have now is not electronic) and that it switches from grams to pounds. So far, nothing bad to say about it!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%