Finish Frostin Issues

Decorating By allibares Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm by aztomcat

allibares Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
allibares Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:40am
post #1 of 4

So...I finished my first official wedding cake. I had been reading and watched the video on using the Viva paper towel method on the cake. My question is, I pulled the cakes out of the freezer so they could get the crust on them so I could use the towels, but the frosting on the edges of the cake cracked majorly---what did I do wrong. I know that the edges crusted before the rest of the cake, but give me some tips so this doesn't happen again. icon_mad.gif
Thanks

3 replies
SeriousCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SeriousCakes Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:56pm
post #2 of 4

Don't put the frosted cake into the freezer, nothing but trouble when it starts to come back up to room temp. When I do a cake everything is at room temp and the frosting crusts without problems.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:18pm
post #3 of 4

I also suggest sugarshack's dvd on "Perfecting the Art of Buttercream". It's the best I've seen and every step is shown in detail. It's inexpensive and the best money you will ever spend. www.sugaredproductions.com

aztomcat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aztomcat Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 7:34pm
post #4 of 4

I never put "frosted" cakes in the freezer. The extra moisture will really mess up the crusting ability.

I do bake and freeze cakes ahead of time. I always use room temp icing on the cakes.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%