Cakeballs And Silicone Molds

Decorating By shanasweets Updated 20 Sep 2008 , 10:56am by amysue99

shanasweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanasweets Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:17am
post #1 of 3

I saw a football mold made of silicone at walmart. Someone at work was wanting some football cake balls. I was going to shape them myself, but saw this mold. Someone before posted they did some pumpkins by coating mold with chocolate, thens stuffing the cakeball mixture in mold and then topping with chocolate. I think this is how they said they did it.

My question is, do they come out of mold easily. Would doing in silicone make it easier than regular metal pan. I have trouble getting my chocolates out of the plastic molds without bending some.

Does this work?

2 replies
auntsteff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntsteff Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 8:40am
post #2 of 3

I have never made cake balls, but I have made football cakes.

If you have the 1/2 egg Wilton pan, use that. The shape is right, and chocolate icing is the perfect color for a football. Then pipe white laces.

Even if you don't have the Wilton egg pan, I think it's worth it to buy that instead of the silicon molds, unless you plan on doing a LOT of football cakes. I prefer to buy things that have multiple uses. I only have so much storage space.

amysue99 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amysue99 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 10:56am
post #3 of 3

I can't say abuot the silicone, but I have done cakeballs in chocolate molds. I have used the plastic kind )from spinningleaf. They came out beautifully. Yes, coat the mold, push in the dough, and then top with some chocolate. With that method you'll get more cakeball and less chocolate.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%