Dumb Question But.......

Decorating By kate_c Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 2:06am by KimberlyLaine

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:56pm
post #1 of 9

okay, I know this will sound like a really ameteur question, but what are you referring to when you "crumb" a cake? I have been able to figure out most of the terminology that differs from what I am used to, but crumbing??????

8 replies
Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #2 of 9

i think you are referring to crumb coating.. which is a thin layer of icing put on a cake to contain the crumbs, then you can ice over top of that with less crumbs. HTH

lindambc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindambc Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 9

When you crumb a cake, you are frosting the cake with a thin layer of frosting to snag or lock in the crumbs, so when you do the final layer of icing the crumbs will not mix in with the icing. It makes it looks almost perfect. you also want to let the crumb coat crust before you add the final layer. Hope that helps.

havingfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
havingfun Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:10pm
post #4 of 9

It is "crumb coating". You put a thin coat of your buttercream on the cake to "seal" the crumbs so they don't get inn your final icing coat. It works great for chocolate cakes especially. Some people don't do this. It will also seal your cake so you can icing it later. hope this helps!

babybundt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babybundt Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:11pm
post #5 of 9

i think you are referring to crumb coating. a crumb coat is a thin layer of icing put on the cake to seal in the crumbs. once that sets up you then ice your cake as usual. .........

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #6 of 9

Not a dumb question at all, Kate. All of us had to learn about it at some point, and chances are there are some people reading this post right now who have been wondering the same thing. icon_smile.gif

I think you are referring to a "crumb coat" which is a thin layer of icing you spread on a cake and let set before you actually frost the cake. You use the same icing you will use to frost the final product, but just a very thin layer. When this sets up, it seals in all the crumbs and keeps them from appearing in the frosting when you are finished.

Does that make sense? If not, maybe someone else can explain it a little better. Let us know if you have any other questions!

Hawkette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hawkette Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:13pm
post #7 of 9

Whoa! I thought I was the first poster. Guess I type too slow. icon_smile.gif You all got your answers in before I finished.

kate_c Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kate_c Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #8 of 9

Ah! That makes PERFECT sense!!!!!! Thankyou!

I have not worked with buttercream very often, but the couple of times I have worked with it, I basically did just that intuitively anyway... I didn't know there was a name for it! Cool!

Cheers icon_smile.gif

KimberlyLaine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimberlyLaine Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 2:06am
post #9 of 9

Not a dumb question at all! I have been pondering this for the last week just didn't have the nerve to post!

So thanks for asking it.. now it makes sense!

Kimberly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%