Where Can I Find Edible Images?

Decorating By sweetisome Updated 19 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm by kimblyd

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 7

I have seen edible images on cakes and I am planning a cake that could benifit from such a feature. I have read that they can be purchased online, but where? Can anyone help me? This is sort of a last minute order, so my time is a bit crunched.

6 replies
kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:28pm
post #2 of 7

Hi,

My Bruno's grocery store bakery does edible images for $5 a sheet and it takes just a minute. All you have to do is bring in a copy of what you want.

The Wal-Mart bakery is supposed to sell them as well, but everytime I have called their "machine is broke" (their grammar, not mine!).

You can buy them on-line as well, but I do not know where. Try a Google search.

If you are very rushed for time getting one done at a local grocery store bakery would be your best bet.

HTH

Kim

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:21pm
post #3 of 7

I was able to get some done quickly at my local Dairy Queen.

HTH
Rae

DeniseFL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseFL Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 7:11pm
post #4 of 7

ifI take a picture with me (like, my daughter's pic) do you think they wil be able to make an edible copy from it??

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:51pm
post #5 of 7

The only restriction I've ever found is that it cannot be a copyrighted image. I've done my son's photo in order to do a driver's license cake for his 16th birthday.

Rae

sweetisome Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetisome Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 7

OK now for my next question...I've seen instences when you can tell where the image begins and ends...how do you make it appear "seamless" with the icing/fondant underneath?

kimblyd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kimblyd Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 7

Sweetisome,

I am not sure if that is possible, I guess you could get close to that if the edible image sheet edges are the exact same shade as the icing on your cake.

I read on here to lightly mist with water the area where you are going to apply the edible image. It helps it to adhere and dissolve. Be very careful not to get the image itself wet, the ink will run or blur.

I have only used an edible image one time (on my skateboard cake in my pics). I had a sheet of skateboard logos and I cut them out individually and stuck them on the sides of the cake.

In the picture you can clearly see the edges of each sticker, which is the effect I am thinking you want to avoid. I know I certainly did. But by the next day the edges were not so obvious and the cake looked just fine at the party.

I have seen where people put a large edible image on their cake and do an icing border around it. It dresses it up the cake a bit and also conceals the edges.

I really enjoyed working with the edible images. The sheet was a lot sturdier than I thought it would be and they were easy to apply. Good luck with your cake!

Kim

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%