Lounge By mellormom Updated 2 Oct 2008 , 4:34pm by sweettoothmom

Ohara Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ohara Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 2:57am
post #31 of 63

skichic68, well said thumbs_up.gif

ShortcakesSweets Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShortcakesSweets Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:47am
post #32 of 63

"Religion" has very little to do with true Christianity.

GeminiRJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GeminiRJ Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:46am
post #33 of 63

Since this all started with political correctness and how it's gone totally off the deep end, I'll add something I read. "Political correctness is a doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority which holds for the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end."

And I truly believe that "zero tolerance" (which is a product of political correctness), is just an excuse to not have to think. Otherwise, you wouldn't be suspending kids who bring a plastic knife to school to cut the rind off their orange. Yes, it happened here in Omaha.

Shelle_75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelle_75 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:13pm
post #34 of 63

You know what offends me? Intolerance, ignorance, bigotry, and hatred. Oh, and those stupid combination words and names like gi-normous, guess-timate and Bennifer!

icon_biggrin.gif

Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:20pm
post #35 of 63

Lol! Throw in Brangelina, and I agree with you Michelle! icon_lol.gif

mbelgard Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mbelgard Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:26pm
post #36 of 63

[quote="mixinvixen"]

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbelgard

Quote:
Originally Posted by mixinvixen

While I appreciate the idea behind it I feel that offering prayer where it isn't requested on a forum that isn't religious can create some awkward situations. What should someone like me say in response when we think that prayer won't help anymore that you blowing your nose?

thank you would suffice...i believe it truly is the thought that counts.

What would you think of me going into a post talking about prayer or what bible quote to put on a cake and telling everyone that I don't believe in a god? I doubt anyone would thank me and I'd guess that people would be yelling and screaming, everyone would definatly say I was terrible rude. Yet on the other side of the coin we're supposed to thank someone for injecting their religion on a thread that makes no mention of it? icon_confused.gif

edited to add:

I really think that a very simple rule to follow would be that if the OP doesn't mention that they're religious or ask for prayer it should be left out of the conversation.

Mencked Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mencked Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:29pm
post #37 of 63

GeminiRJ--love that quote and so true!!!! I myself get so tired of the politicallly correct crowd! No need to be rude but no need to pussy foot around issues either--I much prefer the flat-out truth!

Mencked Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 1:36pm
post #38 of 63

Oh my gosh--I've never had something blocked out of my comment before--what I meant to say was "walk softly like a kitty" around issues--I guess I was politically incorrect on that one! LOL!!!

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #39 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Quote:
Quote:

Isn't this a topic that belongs in the lounge?

Oh no. It's the ...thread police!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

icon_evil.gif

littlecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
littlecake Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:40pm
post #40 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasmine33

Quote:
Quote:

Isn't this a topic that belongs in the lounge?

Oh no. It's the ...thread police!!!

icon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gificon_surprised.gif

icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

HA HA HA HA HA SNORT!!!!!!...thanx.....i NEEDED that!

now, everyone move along, nothing to see here.......

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 10:56pm
post #41 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mencked

Oh my gosh--I've never had something blocked out of my comment before--what I meant to say was "walk softly like a kitty" around issues--I guess I was politically incorrect on that one! LOL!!!

I tried to use the very same phrase once and was very surprised when the block popped up in the thread! icon_confused.gif "that word" is a legit word in everyday language .... what a shame it has be to guarded against.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:16am
post #42 of 63

. . . is it blocked out as all one word (I believe it is one word) . . . pussyfoot . . . let's see if it is left "intact" . . . icon_confused.gif . . . if it is good enough for merriam-webster . . . it's good enough for me . . . icon_lol.gif

Mencked Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 11:19am
post #43 of 63

Wow--you learn something new every day! I guess I need a spell checker at all times! Thanks dragonflydreams!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #44 of 63

I just think the word in question above has some not so nice meanings and definitions, especially when used alone, and some of those could offend some people.

ziggytarheel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ziggytarheel Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 3:44pm
post #45 of 63

This whole idea of being easily offended has been on my mind for a few years now. I used to always think that I wasn't easily offended because I almost never had a "how dare you" reaction. But, then I realized that since I am easily hurt, I actually am easily offended and need to do better!

I've found that if I assume the best of intentions I don't have nearly so many problems with being easily offended. And, when I do that, I have a whole lot less drama in my life. I realize even the drama of being easily offended is something you can become addicted to.

I have to say that sometimes, people can say terribly insensitive things to me at very delicate times in my life, and it doesn't even bother me. That is only because I'm assuming the best. Understanding that they mean well and are not wishing me ill. We've all experienced those moments of great loss or crisis when someone says something that is just not helpful at all. But if I know they are only speaking to me because they care and wish to help me, I can handle it and even be glad for it.

Sometimes people are easily offended because they've been so deeply hurt that they can only react or lash out. They've lost the ability to see a situation as it really is. If I remember that, I can not be offended with them. Instead, I can find it in my heart to have compassion for them. My identity and self-worth are not connected to someone's inability to see what's in my heart.

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 5:51pm
post #46 of 63

littlecake & nickshalfpint

icon_wink.gif

firstof9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
firstof9 Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 6:44pm
post #47 of 63

Although I agree that many people today are easliy offended and need to develop a thicker skin, I do not think it right either to spout out whatever first comes to your mind. To excpect other people to mentally block anything you say or do that could possibly harm or hurt them, in my oppinion, is a very selfcentered perspective. As some of us need to develop a thicker skin, some of us should show some respect for others and be careful of what we say.

Hannah

JodieF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JodieF Posted 20 Sep 2008 , 9:09pm
post #48 of 63

My very wise mama always said "just because I think I'm right doesn't necessarily make YOU wrong" and it's what I've always taught my kids.

People are way too quick to judge. Unless your beliefs, opinions or actions are directly trying to hurt me and mine, then you're welcome to have them!

What I think is sad is the folks that can't stand it if you don't get on their side after they've explained their point! Respect each others rights to our beliefs and make nice! It's my philosophy anyway!

icon_rolleyes.gif

Jodie

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #49 of 63

reading this thread I can't help thinking about the two most sensitive people I know when it comes to getting their feelings hurt. They are also the two most insensitive people I know when it comes to other people. Watch what you say or do to them, but look out for what they may do or say to you.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 1:48am
post #50 of 63

reading this thread I can't help thinking about the two most sensitive people I know when it comes to getting their feelings hurt. They are also the two most insensitive people I know when it comes to other people. Watch what you say or do to them, but look out for what they may do or say to you.

dragonflydreams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dragonflydreams Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #51 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

. . . hmmmm, interesting observation . . .

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 4:47am
post #52 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflydreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieKake

. . . hmmmm, interesting observation . . .

Yep! I've noticed for years that people who "hate people who (fill in the blank)" tend to do that very thing. People who "hate people who interrupt!" are the biggest interrupters. People who "can't stand a liar!" are the ones you can never believe. People who "hate people with bad manners!" have never said please or thank you in their life.

It's a fun game to play during your people-watching times! You'll be amazed and entertained by watching for this! icon_lol.gif

mocakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mocakes Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #53 of 63

The funny thing to me is that religion was brought up a lot in this thread...that it always gets heated when someone talks about religion, or anything to do with religion causes a heated debate or people get offended regarding it....

I haven't noticed that at all lately. What I have witnessed are people making honest observations about something or asking a question and out of nowhere comes zingers and sarcasm and poems and almost a "rallying of others" to join in and make the OP look stupid for their quesion/comment.

I love humor and laughing like the next guy, but I hate to stand by and watch someone be belittled by anyone and use the excuse that "I was just joking and they should have gotten that".

The issues I've seen here at CC have rarely had anything to do with "religious issues" and more with to do with a lack of consideration for the other person.

OhMyGanache Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGanache Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 6:24pm
post #54 of 63

Honestly, I think the opposite is more true - and not that people are more offended, but they are being more OFFENSIVE.

Take my first post in this thread - I simply asked a question and noted that this should be in a different forum topic. I come here for cake, not drama - so I inadvertently get sucked in when it's in the wrong place. Also, I believe that is exactly the reason why there ARE different topics to begin with, right?

Anyway, my one simple question was responded to with accusations of being the "thread police" and others laughing about how funny that was and high fives all around.

Mocking me? For a question? Honestly, I wasn't offended by it... I simply got a giggle at how juvenile it all was. I just wanted to point out that it's not necessarily people getting upset over "nothing" - but that many people behave as if they are still in Jr. High and enjoy bullying and mocking others.

Ok, I'm done. icon_smile.gif

mom2leelee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2leelee Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:59am
post #55 of 63

I can remember my dad saying "it's not just about how you meant what you said, it's just as much about how someone takes what you said". I know it's hard for me to remember that sometimes.

mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 2:34am
post #56 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mocakes

The funny thing to me is that religion was brought up a lot in this thread...that it always gets heated when someone talks about religion, or anything to do with religion causes a heated debate or people get offended regarding it....

The issues I've seen here at CC have rarely had anything to do with "religious issues" and more with to do with a lack of consideration for the other person.

At least 90% of the religious issues we do have could be avoided if people had a little more consideration.

An example would be a few days ago someone went into a prayer request thread and questioned something the religious people were saying. No matter what my views on religion I thought that was wrong. I simply stay out of the threads that are obviously of a religious bent from the first.

It would really help if people would remember that there are people of probably every faith on here and to think before they bring up a topic that isn't already being discussed in the threads.

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:11pm
post #57 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by mom2leelee

I can remember my dad saying "it's not just about how you meant what you said, it's just as much about how someone takes what you said". I know it's hard for me to remember that sometimes.

icon_redface.gif Guilty! icon_redface.gif
I need to remember this too. Ecspecially online. I may be smiling while typing, but unfortunitly no one sees that. I live in a small community where most people know me, and my sense of humor. I can say almost anything to certain people and they know I'm joking. But, I tend to assume everyone knows my sense of humor. But, of course when I assume it makes an a$$ out of u and me. icon_smile.gif

darandon Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darandon Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 12:54pm
post #58 of 63
Quote:

And people really should look at the signatures. Mine was put up after seeing a few other people having to deal with preaching or prayer offers when they weren't religious to keep from having to deal with something uncomfortable for both parties.

I love your signature line, while I'm not an athiest, I do claim to be agnostic when it comes to religion. We only go to a church when someone gets married.

I change my signature line when someone I know sent me an email condeming a book that is to be used in a language arts class in high school. It goes against how she is bring up her family, but is wanting a ban of the book called The Chocolate War. I agree she has the right to not have her daughter read it, I feel I have the right to let my daughter read it.
I tell my daughter - Be accountable for your self, but don't drag others into your personal accountabilty. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. If you don't like the sound of it, stop listening. If it doesn't make your heart sing, you should not be trying to do it. Only you are responsible for your happiness, don't make others have to keep you happy.
So far, I 'm raising a child that is well adjusted and not thin skinned.

mbelgard Posted 22 Sep 2008 , 1:31pm
post #59 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by darandon

Quote:

And people really should look at the signatures. Mine was put up after seeing a few other people having to deal with preaching or prayer offers when they weren't religious to keep from having to deal with something uncomfortable for both parties.

I love your signature line, while I'm not an athiest, I do claim to be agnostic when it comes to religion. We only go to a church when someone gets married.

I change my signature line when someone I know sent me an email condeming a book that is to be used in a language arts class in high school. It goes against how she is bring up her family, but is wanting a ban of the book called The Chocolate War. I agree she has the right to not have her daughter read it, I feel I have the right to let my daughter read it.
I tell my daughter - Be accountable for your self, but don't drag others into your personal accountabilty. If you don't like it, don't do it. If you don't want to read it, don't read it. If you don't like the sound of it, stop listening. If it doesn't make your heart sing, you should not be trying to do it. Only you are responsible for your happiness, don't make others have to keep you happy.
So far, I 'm raising a child that is well adjusted and not thin skinned.

I hover between agnostic and atheist but I thought that line was funny.

I hate book banning, I figure that if a fictional book is going to change your faith it wasn't that strong to begin with. I do think that parents need ot censor what their children read but that's based on the child and the family.

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 12:50am
post #60 of 63

What I find actually quite amusing is when someone on the internet gets offended. Sorry it's my own sickness LOLOL. To get offended by someone you don't know, and a 99% chance of never meeting. I think is quite funny. Hug your loved ones, let your friends know you care, then sit back, and LOL at the world.

Mike

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%