Smbc Not Fluffy

Decorating By dandelion56602 Updated 21 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm by dandelion56602

dandelion56602 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 5:49am
post #1 of 9

So, I made a batch of Brown Sugar SMBC tonight (actually past midnight) and had a terrible time w/ it. It wouldn't cream for the life of it. So, I chilled it a few min & back to beating the heck out of it. It finally came together, but it's not fluffy. Not much more than a creamy stick of butter (as far as consistency goes. Any tips on salvaging this batch?

8 replies
dandelion56602 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 9

Since it won't let me edit my post. I'll attach a pic to a new post. It was creamy, but almost greasy. Smoothed easily but just not much volume to it at all. I ended up making 1 1/2 batches to cover (not fill) a 8" cake--3 layers. From what I remember of my 1st batch about 6 months ago it had more volume to it. Any suggestions on what went wrong or am I just not remembering my 1st batch correctly?
LL

Mike1394 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mike1394 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 11:27am
post #3 of 9

I see what your saying it looks like a 1/2 stick of melted butter. By the pic it looks like the ratio of sugar to butter is off. OR The whites didn't whip enough, or weren't cool enough before the butter was added.

Mike

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 7:55pm
post #4 of 9

add a little meringue powder and keep whipping.

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:24pm
post #5 of 9

I wasn't aware you could add meringue powder to SMBC. You learn something new everyday. I use the 123 buttercream. 4oz whites, 8 oz sugar, 12 oz butter. For one batch I did by the recipe, one I used 3/4 cup whites instead of 1/2. One was med peaks & the one w/ 3/4 cup whites was super stiff peaks, & my 3rd was just reg stiff peaks. None turned out really fluffy

I loved it in the past. Love the smoothness & how easy & quick it is to ice a cake vs letting the icing crust, smoothing, it cracking, etc. But w/out more volume it would cost a fortune to ice a dang cake or cupcakes.

TJCanadian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TJCanadian Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #6 of 9

I learned about the meringue powder today when I added the flavors before I added the butter...it just wouldn't whip up after that...>I added a little meringue and it recovered icon_biggrin.gif Its just adding a little more egg whites...

dandelion56602 Posted 19 Sep 2008 , 9:01pm
post #7 of 9

I'll definitely give that a try next time. Do you guys know if weather affects SMBC like RI & crusting buttercream? I'm wondering if the humidity here could be making it "flat".

AKA_cupcakeshoppe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AKA_cupcakeshoppe Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 9:16am
post #8 of 9

hmmm it doesn't look fluffy at all icon_sad.gif have you tried jkalman's recipe? she posted it on her making SMBC thread. when i make it I whip the meringue until it's really fluffy and can hold soft peaks. then i add the butter. it messes it up but once i continue whipping it comes together.

hth

dandelion56602 Posted 21 Sep 2008 , 7:00pm
post #9 of 9

Yes, I tried her recipe, but it's basically the same, except not as much vanilla. I trully don't know what's happened. Maybe next time I'll have better luck. My 1st batch I ever made was awesome & made me fall in love w/ it, but now I'm not so sure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%