Home Business In Canada

Business By erikamj Updated 5 Oct 2008 , 9:05pm by erikamj

erikamj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
erikamj Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:42am
post #1 of 11

Is there anybody on here that runs a home cake business and lives in Canada? If so, how did you get licensed? Does it vary from province to province the same way it does in the US?

10 replies
SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:56am
post #2 of 11

You have to have a separate kitchen from your domestic kitchen.

If you need to build another kitchen, you will need to go through the Planning and Building Dept to meet all their requirements, plus you will need to obtain a business license.

Obviously there's all the insurances etc needed, but I do not know too much about that.

The City of Calgary website (www.calgary.ca) is really helpful, and has all the answers there. Plus, they do not mind answering any questions you may have etc.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 6:16am
post #3 of 11

I have also been trying to figure this out. Maybe we need to start a lobby for loosening up the regulations in Alberta. Make the home bakers clearly label their products as made in a home bakery, and eat at your own risk!

Anyway, here is another website to look at:

http://www1.agric.gov.ab.ca/$department/deptdocs.nsf/all/agdex10001#Home

I also just emailed the contact person at the bottom asking if there is any document with more specifics about what is required. I assume once you are done you would be inspected by your local public health inspector, so you could try calling your local health unit to find out who that is and talk to them.

Anyone know what the fines are if you sell cakes and are not licensed? I don't, but I sure am tempted.

erikamj Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 4:47am
post #4 of 11

I have heard that the fine is pretty hefty. Upwards of 10000!

Any ideas how to find a commercial kitchen to rent? I have tried googling it but havent had much luck.

margaretb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
margaretb Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 5:59am
post #5 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by erikamj

I have heard that the fine is pretty hefty. Upwards of 10000!

icon_eek.gif -- that's the first emoticon I've used because I am so shocked by that. Illegal cakes have been calling me to the dark side, but that's pretty effective at bringing me back!

The health regulations as far as your kitchen (home or rented) passing inspection will be provincially regulated and probably inspected through your health authority -- that's the question of whether you can prepare food for sale. The business license will probably be municipal, and that's where the question of whether you may or may not run a business from your home comes in.

I assume that there are actual rental kitchens available in bigger cites, and I would look in the yellow pages for that. You can also try churches that have a hall (many will be happy to rent) or even other businesses that might have slow times.

erikamj Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 4:40am
post #6 of 11

thanks I am going to keep looking to see what I can find for renting and getting the licenses to become legitimate as long as it isnt a ridiculous amount!

carolgaler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolgaler Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #7 of 11

Maisie Parrish from England will be going to Canada on June'09 . Would you like to attende one of her workshops???
[img]www.piskypixie.net[/img]

carolgaler Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolgaler Posted 30 Sep 2008 , 7:15pm
post #8 of 11

Maisie Parrish from England will be going to Canada on June'09 . Would you like to attende one of her workshops???
[img]www.piskypixie.net[/img]

erikamj Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 4:12am
post #9 of 11

I would love to go to one of her workshops. Any idea where in Canada she is going to be?

SCS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SCS Posted 3 Oct 2008 , 6:12pm
post #10 of 11

I do not know if this company is still running, but it was only opened a year ago (in Calgary), so hopefully it is! When I looked into it (a year ago), you could rent commerical kitchen space. Here's the details:

Catering Inc.
403 999 8448

HTH!

erikamj Posted 5 Oct 2008 , 9:05pm
post #11 of 11

thanks for the info. I will try the catering company this week.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%