The Best Southern Red Velvet Recipe?

Baking By chasebrad Updated 1 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm by millicente

chasebrad Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chasebrad Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #1 of 12

Hi everyone!

I'm looking for your best Red Velvet cake recipe! If you are willing to share I would love to know the one that people ask for over and over. I have recently moved to Georgia and people really love their red velvet down here and I want to be able to give them the best!

Thanks in advance for sharing!
Karen

11 replies
JanH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jackie64 Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 1:06am
post #3 of 12

This is a beloved recipe from Miss Daisy King she owned a Tea Room for years and she regulary appears on a Nashville program called Talk Of The Town I hope you give it a try and let me know what you think of it if you try it. Enjoy

Red Velvet Cake

DAISY KING / MISS DAISY'S KITCHEN

1/2 c butter
1/2 c shortening
2 c sugar
4 eggs
2 1/2 c flour
1 t baking soda
1/4 t salt
4 T cocoa
1 c buttermilk
1 t vanilla
4 T red food coloring

In a bowl of large mixer, combine the butter, shortening, and sugar until creamy. Add eggs, one

at a time. Combine flour, baking soda, salt and cocoa, and gradually add to butter mixture alternating with buttermilk. Add vanilla and red food coloring. Blend well, Pour into 3 greased and floured 9-inch cake pans or 1 tube pan. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 25-30 minutes or until a skewer inserted in center of cake comes out clean. Cool cake, prepare frosting and ice cake. Yield: 12 -14 servings.

Frosting

1 16-oz box confectioners' sugar
1 c butter, softened
1 t vanilla
4 T heavy cream
1/2 c sweetened flaked coconutred food coloring

In large bowl of mixer, blend confectioners sugar, butter, vanilla and heavy cream until smooth and fluffy. You may need to add additional cream to achieve fluffy consistency. Frost layers and assemble. Tint coconut with red food coloring and sprinkle on top.

audree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audree Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:02am
post #4 of 12

I will definitely try Miss Daisy's recipe! Has anyone tried Duncan Hines red velvet cake mix?

absijails Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
absijails Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:11am
post #5 of 12

I grew up with red velvet frosted with the flour and milk icing. If red velvet has any other icing, it's just not red velvet.
If you are in Georgia you may want to try Paula Deen's recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

cavette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cavette Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #6 of 12

i made DH red velvet cake mix and it was good! I did add more cocoa powder to it and mayo(my grandma's BF) the kids loved it and so did my cousin and sister and my cousin is the one who is going to tell you whats on her mind! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 23 Sep 2008 , 2:25am
post #7 of 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by absijails

I grew up with red velvet frosted with the flour and milk icing. If red velvet has any other icing, it's just not red velvet.
If you are in Georgia you may want to try Paula Deen's recipe:

http://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/paula-deen/grandmother-pauls-red-velvet-cake-recipe/index.html

You mean people frost their red velvet cake with something other than the flour and milk icing? That's just WRONG! LOL Yes, Yes, I know there are the die hard Cream Cheese people out there. But, I agree....just not "real" red velvet without the flour and milk frosting.

I have tried Paula Deen's Icing for her red velvet cake and it WAS good, but, I made it for a bake sale. So, I wasn't eating it.

I have also used DH red velvet and "enhanced" it a little. It does work well especially when you need a cake that will "hold up".

Beth in KENTUCKY

Petit-four Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Petit-four Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 12

I've found Martha Stewart's recipe to work well:

http://www.marthastewart.com/recipe/red-velvet-cake?lnc=5a79cf380e1dd010VgnVCM1000005b09a00aRCRD&rsc=recipecontent_food

It isn't overly sweet, but quite moist, so it might depend on what you're used to in a red velvet. thumbs_up.gif

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:21pm
post #9 of 12

Just a quick question....I have a bride that wants red velvet with the whipping icing. Will that be alright under fondant? Or should we go with cream cheese icing? She wants a moist cake too....all recipes I know of are kinda dry.

babby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
babby Posted 25 Sep 2008 , 9:45pm
post #10 of 12

where can I find the flour and milk icing recipe? My husband LOVES red velvet cake but he likes the 7 minute frosting like his momma always used on her red velvet cakes. Might be nice to mix it up a little bit with something new.

audree Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
audree Posted 26 Sep 2008 , 7:04pm
post #11 of 12

Hey jen--
I wouldn't use whipped cream icing under frosting, I think it would be too unstable. I wonder about the cream cheese frosting, it is so soft. I'm trying a white chocolate cream cheese icing this weekend for a wedding cake (Not under fondant) the white chocolate gives the icing more stability. Good luck icon_wink.gif

millicente Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
millicente Posted 1 Oct 2008 , 10:03pm
post #12 of 12

thanks for the info

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%