Fondant Woes

Decorating By LaLuna5023 Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm by LaLuna5023

LaLuna5023 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaLuna5023 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:00pm
post #1 of 6

So... I tried to do a racecar, covered in fondant, a few days ahead of time so I could go out of town for the weekend. I got a call from my bosses freaking out cause apparently everything had bled and melted as far as the detail I had on it. The black windows bled dye into the lime green, the red taillights had completely melted and slid down the back, and the decals I had made wouldn't stick to the over-moist fondant side.
I told them it'd be great to get a dehumidifier for the cooler, but lacking that, what can I do to do these cakes in a timely fashion? How long can I leave a buttercream and fondant cake out of a cooler before they start losing structural integrity and falling apart anyways? Could I wrap my cakes in plastic wrap to keep the moisture from getting to them as I work on them?
I have a 3D sculpted cat and dog coming up, and I dont want to screw them up. So far, I've been able to do most of my work in buttercream, but I do need to master fondant and sugar veil in order to consider myself a worthwhile decorator...
Any help would be appreciated... I'm kinda stuck in a position where theres no one to show me what to do, and it stinks.
~Danika, Cake'N'Bake Decorator

5 replies
MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:23pm
post #2 of 6

Ummm, was your cake in the fridge? I never put a fondant cake in the fridge, it's just asking for trouble just like yours! Was there any need for it to go in the fridge? If you didn't have perishable fillings, your cake would have been fine at room temp for a good few days. I, personally, will not use perishable fillings in a fondant cake because I want them nowhere near the fridge!

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 2:31pm
post #3 of 6

Never never NEVER put a fondant covered cake in the fridge! It will do exactly what you are saying it did.
If left at room temp, it will be fine for as long as the cake inside of it will be fresh. I usually cover thing in fondant on Thrusday or Friday if the event is on Saturday.

LaLuna5023 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:10pm
post #4 of 6

Ok, I will avoid these such things in the future... Just doing what the bosses said, but then again, they dont work with fondant!
Thanks for the tips guys!
~Danikq

mamacc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamacc Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 6

They are really fine left out for 2-3 days if you use regular buttercream. I do it all the time... Just tell them you can't use perishable fillings for the sculpted cakes.

LaLuna5023 Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 8:14pm
post #6 of 6

We never put any perishable fillings in our cakes, our clientele seems to be too stupid to risk it... One lady called, mad at US, because she'd seen fit to put her buttercream cake on a shelf directly above her dryer and it melted...
It never ends.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%