Chocolate Questions......

Decorating By Charmed Updated 18 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm by mkolmar

Charmed Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Charmed Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 5:42am
post #1 of 7

I want to buy chocolate wafers or slabs. Which brands do you prefer?
which are the best and tastiest!!!!?
where do you buy yours? Do you know of good suppliers?
Is is cheaper to buy like over 10 Lbs?

6 replies
deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:56pm
post #2 of 7

What are you planning to use it for. I like the Merkens for doing CT, but if you want different colors, I buy Hobby Lobby's or Michaels.

I have been looking into different chocolates to do the chocolate Transfer sheets, so I don't have any advice ont that yet. I watched the Transfer video the other day, but feel asleep during it. I am going to try to watch it again this weekend, when I can stay awake.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 7

I prefer to use Coco Berry, Chalibut (sp?) or Valrhora. These are pricey though and need to be ordered.
A lesser grade, but still pretty good quality chocolate is Ghirardelli.
At Christmas time they sell it at Sams. I believe that this is the only place you can get the Ghirardelli candy and dipping bar (I may be wrong though)
It depends on what you are using for if wafers or a bar would be better.
I usually get the wafers that are like a giant chip.

If you are looking for a candy melt I prefer Merkens.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 2:21am
post #4 of 7

I like guittard for couverture, but I do use other brands for certain things, such as when I want a specific taste that I can only get with Valrhona, or have a special request for a particular type. But for any chocolate I usually get my couverture in pistoles form and anything else I don't really have a preference (although, again, pistoles make melting so much easier as even if you need it chopped you can just run across with a knife a few times).

Charmed Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #5 of 7

[quote="mkolmar"]I prefer to use Coco Berry, Chalibut (sp?) or Valrhora. These are pricey though and need to be ordered.
A lesser grade, but still pretty good quality chocolate is Ghirardelli.
At Christmas time they sell it at Sams. I believe that this is the only place you can get the Ghirardelli candy and dipping bar (I may be wrong though)
It depends on what you are using for if wafers or a bar would be better.
I usually get the wafers that are like a giant chip.

If you are looking for a candy melt I prefer Merkens.[/quote

Thank you for your reply. Do you buy your chocolate in bulk? I would appreciate if you could tell me where do you order cocoa barry chocolate?

Charmed Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:07pm
post #6 of 7

Hi,
I just wanted to thank you all for your help.
Cheers,
Katy

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 18 Sep 2008 , 4:25pm
post #7 of 7

Now comes the 100% true but yet unbelievable part of the story.
I have yet to buy the Cacao Barry brand chocolate. (I misspelled it earlier--sorry, I shouldn't post when I can't think clearly with kids around my feet.) *I've worked with it many times but am not the one who ordered it*
I happen to be at a training a few weeks ago taking classes. My DH was busy with work so my mom took the week long trip with me. She got bored since she wasn't in classes and offered to volunteer. She was put to work washing dishes for a french pastry chef who was teaching a chocolate class all week long. As a thank you for doing such a good job he gave her over $1,400 worth of product and a few chocolate molds plus a book. Since my mom doesn't work with chocolate I got lucky and use it instead.

I know that the company name is Barry-Challebaut. Their North America base (since they are all over the globe) is in Chicago. If I remember correctly there was even talks with merging with Hershey's chocolate (which shocked me), but I may be wrong. I'll try to find out this information for you.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%