Cream Cheese Filling?

Decorating By Teena_Marie Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm by weirkd

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:01am
post #1 of 6

i know that you can make frosting and fillings using cream cheese. my questions are these.. can it be made with the mixed berry cream cheese? if so what do i need to add to it, etc? also i presume it will have to be refridgerated, this cake is for my course 3 class tomorrow and i will be covering it with fondant (my first time ever covering a cake with fondant). Does it need refridgerated? How soon before my class should i take it out, etc? Any and all help on this would be greatly appreciated.

5 replies
weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #2 of 6

You can use cream cheese as a filling. I usually mix two 8oz cream cheese with a cup of conf. sugar, a tablespoon of vanilla and two tbsp of flour. Then if you want it a berry flavor I will add a small jar of preserves, lets say strawberry to it and maybe some fresh strawberrys if their in season or a container of the frozen ones thawed.
When you fill the cake you should make a damm on the inside so that the filling doesnt leak out. Then cover your cake in fondant. If you are going to refrigerate it then you will have some condensation on the fondant but it should be fine if you havent decorated it yet. But usually cakes that are filled with parishable items I tend to put in the fridge anyways. But the fondant is suppose to seal in everything but Im always worried about salmonella or any other thing happening so I do it anyways.
And if you are going to class then I would keep it in the fridge until your ready to leave.
But Ive also seen where people will keep their house in the 60's so that they dont have to refrigerate it and they wont have that condensation on it. But again, since your not decorating it right away I think you will be fine.

Teena_Marie Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 6

Thanks so much! I'll try it and see how it goes!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 1:22am
post #4 of 6

Oh my goodness - I never even thought to use the flavored cream cheese! I'll definitely try that in my next cream cheese icing recipe.

Teena_Marie Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:54am
post #5 of 6

The flavor comes out really good, but i realized that it was whipped cream cheese! I'm going to add some more sugar to try to stiffen it up a bit, ill let you know how it comes out

weirkd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weirkd Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 6

Great! Good luck! Im sure it will be fine. I make it all the time. Its hard to keep it in my home because my son loves the stuff and will eat it up before I get to use it!! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%