Gumpaste Flower Makers, How Do You...................

Decorating By Cakebelle Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm by Sugarflowers

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:20am
post #1 of 5

get your flowers to look so perfect? icon_surprised.gif I've seen the pictures of flowers in the gallery, they look just amazing! Do you all use like, veiners and molds or do you just cut them and vein them yourself?
Any help and suggestions would be more than welcome, I'm trying to get the hang of making flowers. The most trouble I have with are the orchids! icon_cry.gif Can never get them to look decent enough!

Thanks in advance!

Have a wonderful day!

Vicky.

4 replies
candee2300 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candee2300 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:40am
post #2 of 5

Specific veiners and cutters for a flower are a must if you want the flower to look real. Keep your gumpaste thin-and dust with petal dust for the most realistic look. I took a class from Jennifer Dontz and it was amazing!! I would recommend it if you can do it. She travels everywhere. Also, she has veiners and cutters on her website to buy. The flowers in my pictures are all done from her class.

msauer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msauer Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:53am
post #3 of 5

I agree that having the best tools AND having Jennifer Dontz show you how to do it is the way to go. I did a class and it was worth every red cent (I even traveled 1-1/2 hrs and spent the night at a hotel just to take the class...)

JenniferMI is her ID here on CC...you should set up a session in your area...I promise you will not be disappointed (not to mention that Jennifer is the sweetest thing....and even a year and a half later she HAPPILY answers questions!)

-Michelle

Cakebelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakebelle Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 5

I thank you humbly for your replies, I guess taking a class would be a good idea too. I never really thought of doing the flowers myself, at least not as much as end up doing them now! icon_rolleyes.gif
I just want to make them look realistic enough.
So thank you, I will look for Jennifer Dontz.

Sugarflowers Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarflowers Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm
post #5 of 5

If you can't afford a veiner, sometimes the silk version of the flower will have a bit of veining to it and can be used. The silicone veiners are much nicer, but can be pricey.

Even if a flower has a heavier petal in real life, making it thinner with gumpaste will give it a more realistic look.

If you can, dust the color onto the still soft gumpaste. This will help the color to adhere better. After you have assembled the flower, steam it. You will be amazed at what this does for flowers and leaves. I like to use a teakettle (so that I can see the steam) and I VERY briefly pass the flowers/leaves through the steam. This sets the color and takes away the powdered look.

Many orchids have a bit of sparkle to them. If you plan to steam them, add the luster dust (of a color to match or enhance) AFTER the steaming and AFTER you have let them dry completely.

Thinning the edges is very important in making flowers look more natural. Even if you have a difficult time making thin petals, thin edges will give the illusion of a thinner petal. It also gives them a more life-like appearance and natural movement.

Good luck with your flowers.

HTH

Michele

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%