Fondant On 1St Birthday Cake?

Decorating By MichaelaRod Updated 16 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm by jenniefah

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:30pm
post #1 of 8

How do you all feel about making a fondant cake for a 1st birthday? Doesn't that kinda take the fun out of the messiness and smashing into the cake? I have a cake I want to make for my son's 1st birthday but it would only look good in fondant and I don't want to ruin the fun just to make it look good.... what do you think?

I want to make Curious George lying on top of a banana....

7 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 9:39pm
post #2 of 8

My son will be 1 in about 2 weeks and I was planning on making a fondant cake for him. I never thought about the messiness...etc. All I thought is... I want his cake to look great! (I'm not very good with buttercream). Maybe you could make a fondant cake for everyone to look at...and then make a smaller cake for him to sit on or play with, etc. Hope this helps!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 12:57am
post #3 of 8

I'm doing a first birthday cake in a few weeks. Main cake will be fondant. Smash cake will be all buttercream (maybe some fondant decorations). Gotta let them get their hands in there and make a mess! I don't think you want them doing that to the main cake though.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 2:35am
post #4 of 8

make him a small buttercream smash cake to go to town with!

sarahpierce Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahpierce Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 11:51am
post #5 of 8

I agree, make him a small cake w/ BC, and a fancy fondant cake for everyone else. That is what I did for my sons 1st b-day last year. Only he had a huge 3 tier fondant cake for the gueats (it was the first time I used fondant), and a good sized smash cake for him. It was a blues clues cake, and I think he was stained blue for about a week afterwards icon_razz.gif . Very fun!

Happy 1st Birthday to all those beautiful babes in cake land! party.gif

MichaelaRod Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichaelaRod Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:21pm
post #6 of 8

Okay then, BC smash cake it is!! Thank you all!

SweetOccasionCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetOccasionCakes Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #7 of 8

I think you can make the cake that is for everyone out of fondant and the 'smash' cake for him out of b/c. I think its a good compromise and you get great looking cake and a messy baby face!

jenniefah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenniefah Posted 16 Sep 2008 , 5:54pm
post #8 of 8

I'm making a fondant cake for the guests and a messy cake for my daughter, who turns 1 in a little under 3 weeks. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%