Quick! Cake's In The Oven. ? About Cooling

Decorating By shannon100 Updated 15 Sep 2008 , 4:12pm by tx_cupcake

shannon100 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shannon100 Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 3:53pm
post #1 of 4

I"m baking a 12x18. I'm looking through the oven window, and it's huge on top! I'm trying to figure out the best way to get it out of the pan and onto the cake board for cooling. Can I trim it in the pan and then flip it straight onto the cakeboard to cool, and then frost the bottom when ready? I only have 1 cake board made (I cut a box), but I guess I could make a 2nd one. But I was thinking that the way listed above might be best. Help please! Should I make a 2nd board?

Thanks!

3 replies
thefrostedcakencookie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thefrostedcakencookie Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #2 of 4

I would let it cool for about 10 minutes in the pan and then you can level it off while still in the pan, but i wouldn't cool it on the cake board you plan on using for the finished cake. the heat and moisture could weaken it and make for a soggy cake board.
HTH

lainalee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lainalee Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:09pm
post #3 of 4

I would cool in the pan on a rack for about 10-15 mins for that size cake. then level the top even to the pan, while still in the pan. Then invert onto the cooling rack to finish cooling . If you only have one rack, you can always use the bottom of your cake pan to help you flip back over and onto your board. HTH

tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 15 Sep 2008 , 4:12pm
post #4 of 4

When you say it's huge on top, do you mean it's forming a dome? Or is it getting a "muffin" top?

If it's a dome, what I do is after it's out of the oven for a few minutes I take a clean dish towel and lay it over the top of the cake. Then I gently but firmly flatten the dome with my hands. When the dome is flattened, I let it cool a bit longer then turn it out onto the rack.

If it's a muffin top you're talking about... well, I've never had that happen, but I imagine you can flatten it the same way then trim off the excess after you've put it on the cake board?

Hope this helps...

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%