Modeling Chocolate

Decorating By deetmar Updated 14 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm by TooMuchCake

deetmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
deetmar Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 2

I have noticed on several cake shows that they use modeling chocolate instead of fondant. Where do you get it, and can you make it yourself? Is there really a difference, or should you stick with fondant?

Thanks

1 reply
TooMuchCake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TooMuchCake Posted 14 Sep 2008 , 3:11pm
post #2 of 2

I make mine myself. There is the standard corn syrup and candy melts recipe that Wilton has, or there are other recipes out there if you look. Another CCer, Sugarflowers aka Michele Foster, has a recipe in her cookbook that I use exclusively now. I don't feel comfortable giving out recipes from her cookbook without her permission, you can buy her cookbook on her website at www.lickthespoonproductions.com

If you want to see a cake I covered in her recipe (or just get an idea of what you can do with it) the monkey cake in my photos uses it. You can see in-progress photos of that cake at http://www.cakedalaska.com/Caked_Alaska/Monkey_see.html

All that being said, I much prefer modeling chocolate to fondant where appropriate. I like working with it, and my customers prefer the taste over fondant. Plus, people like being able to say that their cake has chocolate coverings more than they like saying that it has fondant, so more people are inclined to order it.

HTH,
Deanna

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%