Beatles Cake

Decorating By ginnybug Updated 13 Sep 2008 , 12:11am by PinkZiab

ginnybug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ginnybug Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:09pm
post #1 of 5

I just made a 4 tier Beatles cake for my son's 21st birthday and I could not have done it without the tips & insprirations that I get on CC. This was just my 5th decorated cake (I had previously done the typical Wilton's Rainbow, Clown, Roses & Basketweave) and I have no idea why I was Crazy enough to try a cake this size! I had never done anything larger than a 2 layer (1 tier)before. I HAVE NEW RESPECT AND ADMIRATION FOR ALL YOU CAKE ARTIST OUT THERE!!! I did a Yellow Submarine-Beatles theme cake with alternating rainbow and choc/raspberry tiers. I iced it in buttercream because I haven't done the fondant classes yet. Boy, I never dreamed it would be so hard putting the tiers together without messing up the icing. As I was stressing about messing the icing, I forgot to dowel the top layer and had to take it off the cake and THEN dowell it. Talk about a mess! I was pretty pleased with my colorflow decorations but ended up cracking the submarine as I was putting it on the cake. Too late to make another so it got stuck on in pieces. I needed advise on how to adhere the fondant pieces to butter cream and found the answers on CC.( Asked my Wilton teacher but she refused to help saying we had not covered that yet in our fondant class). One good thing about all the decorations is that they hid alot of smudges! Overall I was pleased with the cake except for the smoothness of the buttercream because of all my smudges and finger pokes. The main thing was that my son loved it!! I learned alot though and look forward to my next adventure!

**Check out my crazy Beatles cake...

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_1264597.html

4 replies
Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 8:40pm
post #2 of 5

Based on that cake I cannot believe you're new to this! You did an awesome job......I have a brother that's a HUGE Beatles fan, he would absolutely love to have a cake like this icon_smile.gif I'm sure your son was very proud of his Mom!

Great Job, I love it thumbs_up.gif

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #3 of 5

I LOVE THE BEATLES!! (And that is an understatement) If I were presented this cake I would be in tears of joy! Truly!

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 12 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 5

that is GREAT!! i love the little foof balls going around the cake board...you nailed it thumbs_up.gif

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 13 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #5 of 5

That's f'ing AWESOME! lol

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%