Color Scheme Help Asap

Decorating By Kitagrl Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm by Kitagrl

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

Okay in like 30 minutes I gotta start putting fondant on a two tiered grooms cake. The problem is I never discussed color with her, only theme! I shot her a quick email that she probably wont answer b/c she is probably busy finishing up wedding plans. I was thinking if I knew a favorite outfit or regular clothing I could do the bottom tier in like a denim and the top in whatever....

Anyway the cake will be covered in various and assorted interests of his...a few sports, a few video games, a few foods, and some other misc logos, animals, etc. So all different colors! I realized I have no clue what color to make the cake. I think a black base board... and then...? I think maybe an army green somewhere near the top as the video game dude (Halo 3 or something) will be up there... but then he has everything from food to sports to a sexy girl on there and nothing matches anything else!

I was thinking about airbrushing starting army green at the top...and transitioning down to...? who knows....help?

5 replies
tx_cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tx_cupcake Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:11pm
post #2 of 6

Woah! That's a lot going on on one cake! Maybe if you did the army green on top, then bottom could be a neutral tan color. At least with a neutral, it will just blend in to the background and not take anything away from all of the decorations.

Be sure to post a pic of the finished product. Sounds intricate!

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:16pm
post #3 of 6

I would probably do the whole cake in the same "background" color. It sounds like the whole cake is going to be covered with all kinds of "stuff" so you should probably get a color that will let it all pop - black, blue, army green, tan, etc....

just my 2 cents! good luck and I definately want to see a picture of the finished product!!!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 8:29pm
post #4 of 6

Thanks, I just finished....its definitely not something I"ll post on my website LOL because anyone who didn't know what the order was for would be like: "Huh?"

I decided upon a marbled fondant with a black base...top is black with a bit of green and yellow marble, bottom is sort of a brownish/orangy/black marble. And then tons of "junk" all over it. I'll post a pic soon.... I don't care for the cake but hopefully she will like it, I put all the junk she requested on it. LOL. It also definitely has a "front" and a "back", hope that's ok too.

janelwaters Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
janelwaters Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #5 of 6

Good luck!! I hope they love it, I just hate to deliver a cake that I don't like. I always try to tell myself that everyone has their own taste etc.... but I still don't like to do it!

I'm sure that she will love it since that is what she asked for. I am so interested in seeing this picture!!

Kitagrl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 9:49pm
post #6 of 6

Here it is...interesting. I don't like the colors, but then, I don't know if there would be any color I WOULD have liked.

Here it is: http://imgsrc.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=1264407&done=1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%