Decorating With Fondant Question

Decorating By MeliaJ Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm by SugarLover2

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:22pm
post #1 of 5

I will be making my first fondant decorated cake for a party on the 20th, there will be lots of smaller fondant decorations. Is it ok to cut them out / make them ahead of time? How far in advance can I make them? And how to store??

(I'm a newbie at all this so thanks for all the help!)

Thanks!

Melia

4 replies
SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #2 of 5

I would make them now and store them on a cookie sheet or something of that nature somewhere where they won't get bumped or destroyed. If they are just decorations and not to be eaten I would mix 1/2 gumpaste and 1/2 fondant so that they harden better. Hope this helps some.

Shelly4481 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shelly4481 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:30pm
post #3 of 5

If you want them to stay soft, wrap them in saran wrap then store them in a ziplock bag or any airtight container. The air makes them dry out. If you want them hard then make them now and let air dry. Keep them out of sunlight because they will fade in time.

MeliaJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MeliaJ Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 3:25pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks!

What about covering the cake with fondant? Do you think I should do that the night before then decorate or can I do it earlier? The icing will be a buttercream (1/2 shortening 1/2 butter)

SugarLover2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SugarLover2 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #5 of 5

I have done it up to two days earlier, but you may be able to do it earlier than that. The only thing is the fondant might dry out. I usually do it one night and then decorate the next morning or night.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%