Bake Even Strips

Decorating By lilahcakes Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm by fthrem

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 8:56pm
post #1 of 13

I was thinking about getting some bake even strips , what are your thoughts on them . I saw somewhere some information where peolpe use cut strips of towels. Any suggestions?

12 replies
Jewelsx19 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jewelsx19 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #2 of 13

As a beginner...I was going to buy the bake even strips, but around here they were like $32.99! And I didn't really want to fork out that kind of money if they didn't work.
I read on here to use the wet towel (sewn into a 2" strip), so I thought what the hell... I will give it a try. The first time I pretty much sat in front of the oven, because I was afraid it was going to catch fire icon_rolleyes.gif
It didn't catch fire! and what a surprise...first cake ever I didn't have to level!!!!! thumbs_up.gif

I did learn one thing, you don't always need as much batter when using the towel around the pan, I have had a couple pans overflow now icon_redface.gif

Oh and another tip, I read somewhere to use quilters pins or something to hold the towel around the pan...well I didn't have any on hand, and didn't feel like making another trip out, so I juse used a large safety pin and it worked perfect.

lilahcakes Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:34pm
post #3 of 13

thanks, i thought i had read that someone had used towels.
Thank you for your reply.

DesignsByMandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DesignsByMandie Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:08pm
post #4 of 13

wow i never would have thought of that!!! Thanks for the tip Jewelsx19!!!!! Everyone here is Super Duper Clever!!! icon_smile.gif

Wesha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wesha Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #5 of 13

I bought a set from Michaels and I believe that they were under 9.00. I like them because i always get a nice leveled baked cake.

lisadesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lisadesigns Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:52am
post #6 of 13

I use them too. I love them. I bought them at either Michael's or A.C. Moore and used one of their coupons (40% off any one item). I bought the pack that has several sizes in it. Worth every penny! I like the towel idea, too!

twinsmake5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twinsmake5 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:02am
post #7 of 13

Girls - don't waste your money! When the cake comes out of the oven and cools enough to touch - use your own best tool - your clean hands. Press down on the cake to level it. It works. Don't burn yourself. You do have to do this while the cake is quite warm.

I have Wilton's bake strips and long thought they were a dream come true. NO MORE! I never use them or anything anymore; just my hands.

bizatchgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bizatchgirl Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:16am
post #8 of 13

There's another post, like best trick you learned, or something like that. One poster mentions flipping the cake over onto a flat surface but leaving it in the pan. Then put something heavy on top, like the yellow pages, and leave it to cool. Waalaaa, when you take it out of the pan, it is flat!

beth2027 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beth2027 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:21am
post #9 of 13

I love my bake even strips. Bought them on sale w/ a 40% off coupon. I rarely, if ever, have to level my cakes.
thumbs_up.gif

jibbies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jibbies Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:37am
post #10 of 13

This has been an ongoing debate for a long time here on CC. I am one of those that think there are some things that are a waste of time and money, bake even stripes are one of those things. I used them a few times to give them a chance and they went in the Goodwill box, I have been decoraring for 27+years, I level my cakes after they cool in the pan for 15 minutes. I use a very long bread knife that will even reach across a 16 inch pan.

Jibbies

lilahcakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:31am
post #11 of 13

I just wanted to thank everyone for all ther tips!

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 4:52pm
post #12 of 13

My cakes don't bake evenly, even with the bake even strips. I always end up leveling..so I think I'm going to try to put something heavy on it, my hands, and the papertowel theory. Nothing wrong in seeing what works best for me. Thanks for all the comments! It's always great to hear everyone's opinions and thoughts!!!

fthrem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fthrem Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 6:10pm
post #13 of 13

I have the bake even strips but I often just make them myself. Wet paper towels and fold them in strips about 1 - 2 inches thick, then enclose the paper towels in aluminum foil and wrap around the pan. I use small metal binder clips to hold them. I think the bake even strips and the home made ones both help my cake to be level and more evenly baked. Hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%