Freezing Royal Icing - Big Ooops!!

Decorating By need2sleep Updated 11 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm by need2sleep

need2sleep Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
need2sleep Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:49pm
post #1 of 5

I froze some royal icing I had made into a "13" to put on top of a cake to see if it would harden faster...but OMG icon_surprised.gif it's wet!!! icon_cry.gif Did I ruin it??? icon_redface.gif I don't need it til tomorrow evening but would that be enough time for it to harden?? icon_redface.gif Should I just start over?

THanks for any suggestions.

4 replies
cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:05pm
post #2 of 5

It's probably just wet because it came out of the freezer... so it's sweating. Hopefully, someone else will need to tell you if it will hold up on top of the cake. Goodluck!!

need2sleep Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:40pm
post #3 of 5

Thanks, I thought nobody loved me. It's looking better.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 2:18am
post #4 of 5

Freezing it won't help it dry. It needs to be put under a lamp (gooseneck with the light set close to it, if you have one) or into an oven set on the lowest setting, or have a fan set on it.

I suppose it could be OK, but I wouldn't trust it, myself. Freezing causes ice crystals to form inside and those crystals are "larger" than water. When it defrosts, that can leave air spaces, making it very fragile. Personally, I'd do another one and dry it using one, or a combination of, the methods suggested above.

HTH
RAe

need2sleep Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks for the info. I did not know the science behind it. I will do another.

Sandra

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%