Do You Get Invited To The Reception?

Business By smab109 Updated 29 Sep 2008 , 12:14am by Jenn123

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 9

I am new at all this.. I had my first official wedding consult today and they are going with me, woohoo! But they invited me to the reception, which just struck me as odd.

If you are invited to stay, eat and have a few drinks, it isn't rude to decline is it?

8 replies
chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:36pm
post #2 of 9

I think that's really odd. I mean, you don't even know each other!

smab109 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smab109 Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:38pm
post #3 of 9

That's what I thought....both the bride and I recognized each other, but we have no clue where we have met in the past. It was all her fiance, who I know I've never met before.

sugarchicone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sugarchicone Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:02pm
post #4 of 9

I too have had this happen to me. I took a wedding cake order from this young couple who I had never seen before and I knew for sure had never met. They where from another state but getting married about 20 minutes from me. I was floored when I recieved an official invitation to thier wedding. I had to call my daughter and ask her what I should do. I thought being she is younger maybe this was a new trend. I could not go anyway because I had 2 other wedding cakes I had to do that day also.
I sent back a decline. Is this something new? Does anyone have an answer for this? Thanks.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:12pm
post #5 of 9

I've had this happen a few times. First time was to the wedding & reception for a friend of a friend who I sort of knew. I said, I'm making a cake for 120, what do you think I'm going to be doing during your wedding lol?! Then I delivered a cake to a wedding in June and when the bride & groom arrived they expected me to stay for lunch and join the party, er no, I'm not appropriately dressed and I have a child to collect from school in an hour! Then I have a wedding next year which I initially was going to stay and cut (about a 3-4 hour wiat), and they said I could nibble along with all the other guests. Not doing that now as the cake design has changed to simple round cakes, so the venue can cut it!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 9:16pm
post #6 of 9

I think they are probably feeling like it would be rude to NOT ask you to stay....and hey an extra gift wouldn't hurt either (maybe they think all guests will feel inclined to leave a card which = money or at least a gift). I would just thank them for the invite and wish them well and tell them you have a prior engagement LIKE SLEEP!!! LOL

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 11:21pm
post #7 of 9

I've had 2-3 brides invite me to the wedding and/or reception, but I just politely laugh and tell them, "Thank you so much for the very generous invitation, but I'm just the hired help that day!"

CakesByJen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByJen2 Posted 11 Sep 2008 , 12:13am
post #8 of 9

I've had it happen once or twice, and though it was a little odd. But I took at as a compliment, that the bride enjoyed working with me so much and had such a good rapport that she wanted to invite me. I think I did drop by one reception briefly, along with another wedding vendor that she invited and I was friends with, but it was a very small, casual second wedding reception and the bride, other vendor, and I all lived in the same very small community.

The few times I have been paid to stay to cut, I did eat. I couldn't hang around that long and not have something, LOL! BUt of course I waited until the guests had all gone thru the line, and I just grabbed something quick and ate in the kitchen.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 29 Sep 2008 , 12:14am
post #9 of 9

I've had this happen several times. I just say thanks but I have other wedding cakes to deliver that day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%