Is This Possible, Or Do I Run Away?

Decorating By Katie-Bug Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm by 7yyrt

Katie-Bug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Katie-Bug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:26pm
post #1 of 12

I have been asked to create a cake like the new life skills building, to feed any number, they don't care. They will have about 300 guest there, but she really just wants a cake like the building, she is willing to do sheet cakes if the building doesn't make enough.

My question is can I even do this? Here is the photo.
I can't figure out how to make the awaing?sp? that comes from the doors.

Can you please help??
LL

11 replies
chovest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chovest Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm
post #2 of 12

I'm not able to view the photo, you may need to resize it to meet the size restrictions.

chovest Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:36pm
post #3 of 12

Sorry, now I see it.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:41pm
post #4 of 12

Meh, basically a big squareish cake. The awning you do out of gumpaste. Do it a little on the thick side and let it dry a long time. Pick it up and jam it up to the front of the cake.

Katie-Bug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 12

The link doesn't seem to be working right, let me try pasting it.

That isn't working, let me attach again
LL

chovest Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:43pm
post #6 of 12

It looks very do-able. It's a nice wide based building that isn't very tall. The canopy could be made from gumpaste if you want to keep it all edible. This building was in the gallery, which may give you some ideas.
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=gallery&file=displayimage&pid=45514

Katie-Bug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #7 of 12

The way the building has the two wings, they are turned. Would it be okay to put each wing on a board and then the center on a board.

The frosting will be cream cheese, so it would have to be able to fit into the fridge.

Then once I get there I will have to put the three together, they will a slight gap in the back where I put the wings next to the center, do you think that will matter? I would assume the real building doesn't have it.

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:16pm
post #8 of 12

I'd place each cake on the board so that it can be pushed right up next to the others with as little gap as possible. I'll be interested in seeing how you do. Very interesting job. You'll do great I'm sure. Looks like you could feed a lot with this one! Good luck!

Katie-Bug Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:29pm
post #9 of 12

Looks like this may be a no- go before I even get started!! I just emailed her to ask about how tall, the tallest I would want to go is about 6'', I do have to haul this thing about 2hrs. She wanted 6' feet!!! icon_surprised.gif

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 1:57pm
post #10 of 12

WHAT? She wanted a six foot tall building? That would look goofy as that building isnt a tall building...it's more squat and long...what the hooey was she thinking?

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 2:26pm
post #11 of 12

6 feet tall? Well, does she have $20,000 to spend? Cause if the answer to that question is yes, then I'm packin' and on my way.

BTW, I would not attempt it in cream cheese icing. You have to go with "sturdy" for big cakes like that.

7yyrt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
7yyrt Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 6:13pm
post #12 of 12

I think it's possible that a 6 foot tall cake in those dimensions will feed 300 people. Image

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%