Gumpaste Vs Ri Flowers

Decorating By karateka Updated 9 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm by peg818

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 8:25am
post #1 of 2

I have a bride who wants flowers "sort of" cascading down the corners of her cake without an upcharge.

Of course my first instinct is to tell her to go buy either fresh or silk flowers and I'll arrange them without an upcharge.

But, I can do some of the flowers in her bouquet in RI and I won't upcharge her for that if I'm not doing several hundred of the things. She has calla lillies, confetti roses, creamy roses, purple freesia, and mums (fall colors). I can do RI mums and roses, I know. Can I do Freesia? I don't know how it would be done, so if you know you can, would you tell me how?? I know the calla lillies will require gumpaste.

Also, it's been suggested that I give a few brides a deep discount on gumpaste flowers to have them seen. That way I can build a clientele that wants my beautiful flowers. On one hand that seems true. On the other it seems I'd build a group of clients who want them for free.

What do you think?

TIA!

1 reply
peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 1:35pm
post #2 of 2

It really depends on what you want to do.

I do make gumpaste flowers cheaper if there is a cake under them, then if its just someone wanting to buy the flowers.

What i would do, is offer this bride a price with no flowers, then one with the royal in the ones that you can do, then with them done in gumpaste. Let her decide if she wants to pay for them or not

BY NO MEANS should you be doing gumpaste flowers for free, or at such a reduced price that you are giving them away.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%