Filling Question

Decorating By crazymommyof3 Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 12:10am by pottedmeatchunks

crazymommyof3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crazymommyof3 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:15pm
post #1 of 3

I am making a cake in October for my husband's grandma's birthday. they want lemon cake with raspberry filling. I want to make the cakes and frosting ahead of time and decorate them there (they are 3 hours away) It's a wedding that weekend as well for hubby's cousin, so I'm working around time constraints.

So my question is, if I frost 1 day and finish decorating the next day, will it need to be refrigerated with the filling? What will refrigerating do the a frosting cake that still needs to be decorated? I am new to this whole thing. icon_smile.gif

Is there a recipe that wouldn't require refrigeration or do I have to get up at the butt crack of dawn at my sister in law's house to frost AND decorate the same day?

Thanks!!

2 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:35pm
post #2 of 3

The sleeve fillings don't need refrigeration. I make my wedding cakes on Thursday for a Saturday wedding and I never refrigerate them.

Fillings: http://countrykitchensa.com/catalog/SearchResults.aspx

pottedmeatchunks Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pottedmeatchunks Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 12:10am
post #3 of 3

If you do frost the cake and refridgerate and decorate the next day (which I often do with cakes due to filling), the only thing is the buttercream will get a thin layer thats pretty hard and dried out. I do mean THIN layer, not anything that would taste bad. It actually makes it easier to decorate on top of because if you are doing scrollwork you can "erase" booboos without damaging the buttercream underneath. The blue wedding cake in my photos used this procedure.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%