Cake Jacks

Decorating By sherik Updated 8 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm by psurrette

sherik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 18

Exactly how are âCake Jacksâ used?
3 Inch Cake Jacks
These wonderful Cake Jacks are 3" tall and will unscrew to extends to 4¼". Make all your cake perfectly level!

Do you use these in place of dowels?

17 replies
jlsheik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:06pm
post #2 of 18

I use the 4 inch that screw out because I bake 4inch tall tiers. I love them!! And yes....I use them instead of wooden dowels. I can never cut them level or if I did... it took me for ever!!!
I don't use them for everything but I do use them.

sherik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:15pm
post #3 of 18

Thank you.

cutthecake Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #4 of 18

Okay.....what are cake jacks? Are they like car jacks? Or ceiling jacks? How do they work? How precisely and successfully will they even out a cake? Can anyone provide a good link so I can see what they look like?

Bubble tea straws, sugar guns, cake jacks........I have so much to learn!


DiannaSue Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:30pm
post #5 of 18

I would like to know also. Thanks.

sherik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #6 of 18

Here is the link.
I was looking for plastic cake dowels.

DiannaSue Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:36pm
post #7 of 18

Thank you sherik, appreciate your help.

sherik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #8 of 18

I can say that I am very happy with "Global Sugar Art". I ordered cake boxes from them, they are twice the thickness of "Wilton" boxes which are very flimsey.

sherik Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:46pm
post #9 of 18

Your welcome DiannaSue. I'm still not real sure how they work. They look like they have a little thumb screw top on them. I guess I would have to
see them in person to know exactly how they work.
Where do you get plastic cake dowels from?

psurrette Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:53pm
post #10 of 18

I bought cake jacks at the ices convention and really like them.

They are like a plastic dowel with a screw on the end and you turn the screw to get all the same heights for each jack. The downside of them is you have to make sure you get them back.

They are sold by C.J. Enterprise
508-979-9133 for some reason ther site isnt working

mlharvell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:34pm
post #11 of 18

Perhaps I'm just being dense, but if you level your cakes, what's the point of cake jacks? If you're cake is unlevel and you have to have one side higher than the other, wouldn't there be a gap? Confused. icon_confused.gif Someone please explain.

psurrette Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 11:42pm
post #12 of 18

You use them for dowels to hold up your next tier. they are supports

mlharvell Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 1:03am
post #13 of 18

Ah. [light bulb goes off] I got it now. Thanks!

jlsheik Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 2:28pm
post #14 of 18

You pop in the cake jack in the tier and unscrew to the perfect level.
Then follow with the other ones at the same level. No cutting!! Just like dowels just better....not as cheap so make sure you get them back!!

sherik Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 4:35pm
post #15 of 18

Thank you all for the information.
I will purchase them for use in wedding cakes only, and I
will charge an equipment deposit to make sure I get them back.

PinkZiab Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:21pm
post #16 of 18

I've considered using them (I usually use wooden dowels)... and may still give them a shot, but seriously for the price, I would build it into the price of the cake as part of my "consumable" products, and be done with it.

By the way, s u g a r c r a f t dot c o m and c o u n t r y k i t c h e n s a dot c o m both have them a little cheaper than global.

cakedout Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 5:42pm
post #17 of 18

I've used cake jacks for years and really like them. With the tendonitis I have in my elbows and thumbs, cutting dowels can be a bit of a problem- besides, I could never get them the same anyhow! icon_confused.gif So the cake jacks were a real solution for me.

Personally, I've never had much trouble having them returned, but if you build it into your cake cost they can either throw them away- or if you get them back....even better! icon_smile.gif

I get mine from ck products.

psurrette Posted 8 Sep 2008 , 7:16pm
post #18 of 18

you can get them direct from the company they come in a pack of 6
3" raise to a mazimum height of 4 1/4
3.5" raise to 4.3/4
4 raise to 5 1/4

They all sell for 5.50

The shipping is 3.75 for 1 set
4.00 for 2
4.50 for 3
4.75 for 4 5.5 fir 5
6.00 for 6

Quote by @%username% on %date%