Tired Of Picking Up Cupcake Tower!

Baking By Ro40 Updated 10 Sep 2008 , 3:05am by Bellatheball

Ro40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ro40 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 14

Recently I have been doing a lot of cupcake towers for weddings. My big dilemma however, is that I have to go back to where the wedding took place to pick up my cupcake tower. I'm starting to get really tired of it. Especially since I am usually going there at midnight. How does everyone else handle this. I'm starting to think I need to double my delivery charge, since I am essentially delivering twice. Please help with any advice and suggestions. Thanks!!

13 replies
indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:38pm
post #2 of 14

If you're going to pick it up anyway, why do you have to pick it up at midnight?

Whenever I use non-disposable equipment on a drop-off cake, I make arrangements with the facility to pick up the equipment the next monday. So far, not one venue, hotel, country club or facility has found this to be a problem.

Is the option of the client returning it not an option?

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:54pm
post #3 of 14

I am with indi.....You shouldn't be needing to go back at midnight.almost all venues will have it put aside for you to collect on the following monday...If pieces are missing or broken then you keep the damage deposit that you collected when the contract was signed!...Also the client can have someone they trust return it but most times pieces are missing or you have to hunt them down with phone calls etc to get your stuff.That is why damage deposits are a must..and a hefty one too.at least to cover the cost to replace the item.

avgsuperheroine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
avgsuperheroine Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:05pm
post #4 of 14

That's what our decorator did, she had us return the items by a certain date. Our family took care of saving them out and then my DH took them back. Our lady lives sort of in the country too, but we didn't mind.

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:06pm
post #5 of 14

I agree.. I have the client return the equpiment to me. They have one week and then their deposit is forfeited. Deposit covers replacement value including shipping should it never come back.

If you are picking u p the equipment, double or triple your rental fee. Mine is 25% of the replacement value. If I was to have to pick it up.. it would be a lot more. That's your time. You should be compensated for it and not have to run out at midnight to pick up your stuff. That's ludicrous.

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 2:11pm
post #6 of 14

Like my seester, I charge a big fat deposit, including the price of a new PLUS overnight shipping. The customer is in charge of returning all equipment to me. If I have to go get the crap I deduct $80 from their deposit. My time is valuable.

However, I demand return at the latest Wednesday, because I need the stuff for the coming weekend.

Ro40 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 14

Thank you so much! This is such a learning process. I have been picking it up because I haven't been asking for a deposit in case something happens to it. STUPID!! That is a must for any upcoming weddings. I am definitely going to have to start charging double for delivery. It took so long to get my towers made that even if they pay for it, I don't want to go through the hassle of waiting for new ones. I definitely want to continue to pick it up then trust that they will get it back to me in one piece. Going back in the morning has been an option, but again I'm even afraid of the people at the venue ruining my towers. More money and a deposit are the key. Thanks for the great advice!

mjarvis78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjarvis78 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 4:59pm
post #8 of 14

Ro

I was just looking at you blog, and was wondering where you ordered your cupcake stand from?

BTW--I love your website and blog. Your cupcake and cookie business is exactly the direction I want to take my business in!

Ro40 Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 8:52pm
post #9 of 14

Thanks mjarvis78! My first stand I called Mr. Handyman Services and asked them to make it. What a rip-off! It wound up costing me $500. They charged labor by the hour........crazy!!
My 5-tiered stand, a friend of a friend built it for me. You just have to find someone who is good at carpentry. If you want the dimensions just send me a PM. Hope this helps.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 10:23pm
post #10 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ro40

They charged labor by the hour........crazy!!

Uh-oh!! Be careful!! You're gonna sound like some of our crazy customers who can't figure out why a 3-D carved cake covered in fondant with teeny intricate details costs so much! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:38am
post #11 of 14

Rose, love your website. What is confectioners chocolate and where do you get it?

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 4:43am
post #12 of 14

Decoratorsâ chocolate or confectionersâ chocolate isn't actually chocolate at all; it is more like chocolate-flavored stuff. Decoratorsâ chocolate or confectionersâ chocolate is mainly used commercially for things such as covering strawberries or decorating cakes. It is designed to melt easily and harden quickly so is ideal if you are using large quantities in a short amount of time. It is also an easy start for beginners who are learning how to decorate cakes with chocolate.

Unfortunately, decoratorsâ chocolate lacks the flavor of real chocolate. If you have the time and patience (and the know-how), you should use real chocolate for a more superior finish and flavor.

Ro40 Posted 9 Sep 2008 , 11:54am
post #13 of 14

Bellattheball, thanks for the compliment on my website. I say confectioner's chocolate because I think it sounds better than Candy Clay, but what I really use is candy clay. Which is Wilton Candy Melts and Corn Syrup.

Bellatheball Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bellatheball Posted 10 Sep 2008 , 3:05am
post #14 of 14

Thanks to you both for answering my question!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%