Help! Ri Meltdown!!!

Baking By loves2bake Updated 6 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm by loves2bake

loves2bake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loves2bake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:13pm
post #1 of 5

I just made the Wilton RI for the 1st time and it was a flop! thumbsdown.gif I always make my own BC so I'm familiar w/the process But I Dont Get It..lol
I was going to make some roses on a stick last night and the RI literally slid right down my stick!!! So what did I do wrong? This stuff (I don't dare to cal it RI) wldn't even make a decent cone and yet it was as stiff as I've ever made (icing) lol. Would someone pls tel me: Whats the problem??

4 replies
msulli10 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msulli10 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 5

If it came in contact with any grease whatsoever your RI will fall apart - including the mixer or bowl or any utensils. Try adding more powdered sugar to see if you can save it. Good luck. Antonia's RI (see recipes) is really good.

loves2bake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:36pm
post #3 of 5

I was very careful not to let it touch grease. The only thing I'm not sure about it that I added a little Wilton IM Vanilla extract; do you think this is the problem? icon_confused.gif

psurrette Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
psurrette Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 4:50pm
post #4 of 5

The vanilla should make any difference. Did you mix it long enough? Usually about 10 minutes. It should not be shiny. Make sure when you add your water always use the 5 tablespoons first in this weather you might need less or more depending on where you live. RI is very temper mental

loves2bake Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 5

I noticed this morning that it was still shiny.. Now that you mention it, I bet that I did Not mix long enough. I replaced 2 tsp water w/im vanilla so...? I was so disgusted with it last night I just covered it up & leftCan this be saved?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%