Fondant Questions

Decorating By Teena_Marie Updated 7 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm by leah_s

Teena_Marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:48pm
post #1 of 7

How soon in advance can you make fondant decorations for a cake? like if I was to do a LOT of roses for a cake, how early could I start making them. and how do i go about storing them so they will last the longest? any help would be greatly appreciated

6 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 6:35pm
post #2 of 7

I'm not sure on an exact time frame, but I know that, when stored correctly, they can last quite a long time. I believe as long as they are stored in an air-tight container, they will last for maybe a couple of months, maybe more. Like I said, I'm really not sure on the exact time frame.

Teena_Marie Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 7

thanks for responding, do you know if i should let the decorations dry first then put them in the tupperware? if so, how long do they take to dry, how easily do they break? etc? sorry, you all probably get these questions all the time, but i only started working with fondant last night and dont know much about it.

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:22pm
post #4 of 7

don't worry about it, asking questions is how we all learn. I would let them dry first, or they may stick to one another. It usually takes a couple of days for them to set well. What kind of decorations are you making?

cylstrial Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cylstrial Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 8:32pm
post #5 of 7

If it's a rose or something similiar, I think most of us probably use toothpicks and then put the toothpick in a styrofoam board. I think put mine in a picture box. I have about 30 roses in the box. If you put them far away from one another...there will be less chance of breakage. Sometimes I wrap things in papertowels after they have dried and store them too.

Teena_Marie Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 5:22am
post #6 of 7

Awsome! Thanks for the help. Yes it is roses as i havent attempted anything else with fondant as of yet. i was thinking of making a big practice cake to take to work, so people could see what i can do, then maybe people will hit me up to make cakes! not to mention the pics would be good for my tiny portfolio. I'm angry at myself for not keeping track of all those cakes i did before this past year. My mom says she has some pics 'somewhere' and will have to find them.

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 1:08pm
post #7 of 7

For really involved cake decorations, many books will tell you to start making flowers 3 months in advance. I certainly did that for DD's wedding cake. I have some flowers that I've made and stored for years. It's not like they're going to go bad. Breakage is your enemy so use bubble wrap or some other type of cushioning.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%