Problemls With Sugarcraft Gun, Please Help

Decorating By CakeDesigns Updated 17 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm by CakeDesigns

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 6:51pm
post #1 of 7

Hi,
I was so excited to finally get the sugarcraft gun at globalsugart.com. I had a green extruder I bought at Michael's but always had to have my husband extrude the fondant for me. I thought I can finally do it on my own. Well, I had to do a cake last week (teal, black and silver 15 cake in my photos) with lots of scrolls and was hoping this gun will do the trick and extrude the fondant fast and easy. Not true. That thing is so slow, it's so hard to extrude, in some cases, I didn't get anything out. I tried different fondant: Wilton, MMF. I tried regular consistency and very soft. I even tried to warm up the gun running it through hot water and warming up the fondant. I did grease the barrel and the fondant. NOTHING!!! I sat there waiting for the fondant to come out, it was SO SO slow.

Please help, what am I doing wrong? I heard this was the greatest thing on earth. I was expecting this to pop out fondant faster than the $7 extruder without any effort. Right now the $7 is winning.

I called Globalsugart and they are not believing the problems I'm having. They say that they sell hundreds of these and none have been defective. Is it me the problem? They are willing to replace it but I'd have to pay for the shipping to the their facility and back and I already paid $44.95 + shipping. I'd hate to pay about $10 more. How much is this thing going to cost me?

Sorry for all the rage but after I pay $50+ on an item I expect it to be what it claims to be.

I'd appreciate all your tips on how to use this thing. Thank you.

6 replies
bashini Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bashini Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 8:48pm
post #2 of 7

Hi there, fondant shouldn't be that difficult to extrude. I always knead it with lot of vegetable fat. When I use it to extrude Gumpaste, what I do is, I knead the paste with vegetable fat and then slightly dip it in warm water, then knead it again. It should have a chewing gum texture. And it actualy works brilliantly.

HTH.

BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:26am
post #3 of 7

I have the red and black shugerkraft (sic) gun, too. I hate it.

I bought the Makin's pale green metal "T" handle extruder with a coupon at Michael's. You twist the "T" handle and get nice long ropes and no sore hand. Best $ I've spent on toys! Some stores aren't carrying it, but you can search and find it online.

http://www.makinsclay.com/US/eng/products/ultimate.htm

HTH
Rae

cakedout Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakedout Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:14am
post #4 of 7

Thank you for posting this!!!! I thought it was just me!

I have some major problems with tendonitis in my elbows and thumbs, and could barely get the thing to work. icon_mad.gif I thought it was because of my physical limitations, 'cause when I saw other people use these things they worked like a charm. icon_confused.gif

Needless to say, after my first try with it, it went back into the drawer-probably never to be seen again!

I really want to be able to have an extruder, I obviously just need to try another type.

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:12am
post #5 of 7

I used the red and black one at the place I used to intern and it was a piece of GARBAGE! I'm sorry you spent the money on it, because I think it's worthless. Like Rae, I have the M a k i n ' s ultimate professional green with the "t" crank handle... I LOVE it... best $ I ever spent!

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 7 Sep 2008 , 6:05am
post #6 of 7

The cheap push one you bought is hard to use but I have never seen a bad review here on CC about the T-crank "ultimate professional" one the pp's have mentioned!

I bought that one at polyclayplay.com; they had the best price (when you include shipping)...I figured by the time I added tax to the approx $17 cost from Michael's (w/the coupon), it was only like $6 more to get it online...since no Michaels' near me carries it any more. Very helpful too, the proprieter was fascinated to learn of its use on cakes and especially for "quilling" projects. You can try Ebay but it always seems to bid up to full price by the last day.

Sorry the "professional" sugar gun isn't working out, I assume some people have success with it or it would not be such a popular seller, but I've read mostly complaints about that it here icon_sad.gif . It's too bad they won't give you a refund.

CakeDesigns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeDesigns Posted 17 Sep 2008 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 7

Thank you everyone for your responses. I wish I knew about this before shelling out the money. I surely thought it was a great tool to have. Another thing I don't like about this are the attachments (disks), they holes seems smaller than the ones my plastic clay gun has. I especially dislike the round ones, they are so tiny.

I'm now in search of the makin' clay extruder.

WARNING TO OTHERS

If you are thinking about buying the expensive, red and black clay extruder. Please read these responses before making your decision.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%