How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By chelley325 Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm by Cakeonista

chelley325 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chelley325 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 11:54pm
post #1 of 8

This is my first "real" paid order, so I'd like to try to get it right! She has requested stacked 10" and 6" square cakes, covered in fondant, fondant bow on top, and fondant sailboats and trains decorations on the cakes themselves (it's for a baby shower). I was thinking $100. Is this at least in the ballpark? Also, I will need to deliver it about 45 minutes away, and I am unsure how to charge for delivery (flat fee vs. per mile). Thanks everyone for your help! icon_smile.gif

7 replies
julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:26am
post #2 of 8

Well, I'm a little scared to answer, I got yelled at in another forum, lol, anyway, just to make sure I have this right, it is a 6" stacked on top of a 10"? I personally think $100 sounds good, but I would charge a min. of $30 maybe even $45 for delivery. :0)

julitre1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
julitre1 Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 2:28am
post #3 of 8

well, I re-read your post and with the sailboats and trains...how long will that take you? I would put that into consideration. Don't be afraid to charge for your work. I hope someone else answers you better than I did. icon_sad.gif

chutzpah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chutzpah Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:27am
post #4 of 8

I won't deliver a cake that small. Just not worth my time. I'd charge $365 +/-. I don't know your skill level, though.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:35pm
post #5 of 8

I use Earlene's serving chart, so:

10" square = 40 servings
6" square = 12 servings

Basic fondant price of $3.50 per serving * 52 servings = $182.00
Fondant bow = $20.00
Depending on how elaborate the sailboats and trains are, you might add a surcharge for that, or a higher per slice serving.

So that's $202.00 just for the cake, and I would charge $1.00 per mile for delivery, round trip. That's a LOT of gas. If you charge $100, you'll be practically doing the cake for free.

CakesByEllen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByEllen Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 12:57pm
post #6 of 8

Here's how I would break it down:

10" Square cake, filled with buttercream: $40
6" Square cake, filled with buttercream: $25
Fondant Covering for 10": $25
Fondant Covering for 6" $15
Fondant Bow: $20
Sailboat Theme (Fondant/Stacked): $ 35

Cake total: $160

Filling with something other than buttercream would be an upcharge.

I generally deliver the first 10 Miles (roundtrip) for a flat fee, then charge per mile thereafter. Probably $20, then $.50/mile afterwards. That is just enough to discourage delivery, unless it is really needed. I hate delivering.

I find that for pricing a cake, I try to break it down to individual elements and then add it all up. Otherwise I feel bad charging a certain amount. I also itemize the amounts on the Invoice so that the buyer can take off certain elements if the cost is too high.

Hope this helps!

Ellen

Cynita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cynita Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:10pm
post #7 of 8

I definitely agree with kelleym. I don't charge seperately for each cake when they are tiered are stacked. I find it more consistent to charge per serving for anything stacked or tiered.

10" sq. = 40 serv.
6" sq = 12 serv.
I charge 3.00 per serv. for fondant covered cakes

52 x $3.00 = $156.00

additional charge for the design, and for that design, I would add an additional $50.00

So, you have a total of $206.00.

But like someone else said, do take into account your skill level.

Hope that helps,
Cynita

Cakeonista Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakeonista Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:30pm
post #8 of 8

thank you all, i learned a lot from this forum.....im never sure how and what to charge for cakes and different decorations, i have definitly been undercharging so far. is their an overall guide anywhere that i can print and modify to my own skills? if so i'd love to have it so i can charge correctly and more effeciently from now on.
thanks everyone

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%