Chocolate Kahlua Filling?

Business By sharlene_marie Updated 24 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm by tiersfromheaven

sharlene_marie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sharlene_marie Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 11

I located this recipe in the recipe book on this site... Never tried it yet but ready to with chocolate cake... The recipe calls for sugar, I take it this is regular granulated sugar or powdered sugar? Also is there another filling that can be paired with this that isn't chocolate but will taste good?

10 replies
Swede-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Swede-cakes Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 1:34am
post #2 of 11

Sharlene Marie, what about adding the kahlua to white chocolate BC? Or to a thickened whipping cream? Both would be creamy and flavorful, and the white filling would be a nice contrast to a chocolate cake. Hth! icon_biggrin.gif

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 3:46am
post #3 of 11

question 1 - yes, you want to use granulated sugar. If it needed powdered sugar, it would specifically say so. They are two entirely different animals, so to speak.

question 2 - I would have to agree with the idea of something light, like a vanilla SMBC or thick whipped cream. Either woud give you a taste similar to a White Russian cocktail.

Theresa icon_smile.gif

tiersfromheaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiersfromheaven Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 11:42am
post #4 of 11

I just overnighted a cake to my mother-in-law for her birthday. Her favorite Chocolate Kahlua with Dulce de leche filling (caramel). This combo tastes divine and not so sweet. Adding cinnamon to the batter gives it a nice taste too!

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 12:40am
post #5 of 11

Wow, lucky mother-in-law, that sounds awesome icon_smile.gif

cakefanatic Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefanatic Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 1:00am
post #6 of 11

tiersfromheaven
Can you share the recipe that you used, and is the dulce de leche the same as what you use for tres leches cake?

Thanks.... OH and what a luck mother-in-law!!!!!!!!!!

tiersfromheaven Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 2:16pm
post #7 of 11

I have two recipes; one is cake mix doctor (no-fail) and the other scratch. I used the cake mix for mil cause it was sturdy. The dulce de leche is just condensed can of milk boiled in water four at least 4 hrs; that's the recipe . icon_lol.gif Which recipe would you like?

Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 3:07pm
post #8 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiersfromheaven

I have two recipes; one is cake mix doctor (no-fail) and the other scratch. I used the cake mix for mil cause it was sturdy. The dulce de leche is just condensed can of milk boiled in water four at least 4 hrs; that's the recipe . icon_lol.gif Which recipe would you like?

I'd love the one like you sent to your mil....my kids are away at college and I was thinking I could surprise them each with one. You mentioned overnighting the cakes, any tips on how you packaged it?

The dulce de leche....is that condensed milk boiled right in the can?

Thanks for your help icon_smile.gif
Deb

tiersfromheaven Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 7:44pm
post #9 of 11

Cake Doctor Kahlua Cake

1 box of devils food cake (any choc. without pudding)
1 5.9 oz box of instant pudding chocolate
3/4 cups Kahlua
1/2 cup water
1/2 cup canola oil (or veggie)
4 Large Eggs
Optional 1/2 tsp grooound cinnamon

Combine all ingredients in mixer for one minute on low speed. Scrape down bowl and mix on medium for 2- 3 minutes. Batter should be thick and smooth. Bake at 350 in 9 inch pans for 35mins or till toothpick comes out clean. The amt of time I bake really depends on the pan size. Bt usually chocolate batter bakes up quickly so keep an eye on it.

Yes, the condensed milk is boiled in the unopened can, Add water to alwasy keep can covered.

I mailed the box with UPS; I iced cake on cardboard sized to cake then transferred to foamcore for strength. I doweled the cake into the foamcore to steady it. I crumpled some wax paper and gently placed on top of "tissue" then made a loose cover of clear film wrap to cover the cake but not the foamcore board. Then I loosely wrapped the cake and the foamcore board with clear wrap. The cake was placed in a cox that had packing peanuts at the bottom. Weight of cake held the peanuts in place. then covered cake with peanuts to fill space between the cake and sides of box, on top just a few. I placed an air filled packing bag (Name?) on top of cake and closed up box. The point it to make sure the cake is not moving at all, so you must suport it with soft packing material.

It survived the trip to NYC and MIL loved it! I did insert a before pic just in case. UPS delivered but I found out the U.S. Postal service would have done guaranteed delivery by noon for half the price! ! Oh well,live and learn

Deb_ Posted 6 Sep 2008 , 11:43pm
post #10 of 11

Dear Tiersfromheaven,

Thank you so much for sharing your recipes. After I boil the can of sweetened condensed milk do I just pour it on the bottom layer (after I dam it) just like any other filling? Will it be thick? What did you use for frosting?

Sorry for all the questions icon_smile.gif

tiersfromheaven Posted 24 Sep 2008 , 3:12pm
post #11 of 11

So sorry I didn't se the questions you posted sooner!! The dulce de leche will be thick but still runny enough to need a frosting dam. Sorry that's the best description I can give icon_redface.gif

I used Sugarshack's method of making the buttercream thicker, by adding powdered sugar to my regular recipe, till you can make a ball of it and it holds its shape. That is what I used for the dam.

Mix up the dulce a bit with a spatula to loosen it. Start at one edge and spread it like icing, tyring not to pick up crumbs as you go . I used regular buttercream to ice as usual. Hope this helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%