Cookies Without A Cutter

Baking By Venticali Updated 5 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm by just_for_fun

Venticali Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Venticali Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 9:07pm
post #1 of 16

I have an order to make cookies in a shape that is literally unfindable. I've checked every cutter site.

Will i be able to make them without? Any tips?

they are actually jewish themed, a kippa and tzizit so the lines arent terrible. the kippa i think i can manage but cutting a circle into 2, but the other is giving me problems.

ETA: They also have to be packaged to make a trip across a ferry. I am not the one taking them across though, any tips on how to pack them so they dont break? they will be individually wrapped on a lolliop stick

15 replies
Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:19pm
post #2 of 16

I have a suggestion for the tzizit. Could you just use a square cutter and in the middle of the cookie draw and outline the bottom of a prayer shawl. Then add the tzizit at the bottom with royal icing. You could find a picture on the internet, maybe even a coloring page from a jewish coloring book (are there jewish coloring pages?) and use that as a guide? Just the first thoughts that came to my mind when trying to figure out how I would do it.
Good Luck!

Homemade-Goodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Homemade-Goodies Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:47pm
post #3 of 16

Here are some Google images:
Kippah - http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=nl&q=kippa&btnG=Afbeeldingen+zoeken (I love the Harley one! haha)

Tzizit - http://images.google.com/images?gbv=2&hl=nl&q=tzizit&btnG=Afbeeldingen+zoeken

I agree with the circle cut in two for the kippa, but I think a square shape for the robe, decorated in the design, and some kind of way to dangle the fringes.

A challenge, but I bet it turns out awesome!

Best of luck - be sure to post pics!

smbegg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smbegg Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 10:58pm
post #4 of 16

I just print out a template on paper, spray it with non stick spray and place it on the dough and cut with a sharp knife. That is how I did my Hello Kitty cookies because I couldn't find a cutter.

Just make sure the dough is really firm-frozen even to ease in cutting. Pat the rough edges down with your fingers. It works great!

Stephanie

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:09pm
post #5 of 16

I know I've seen a tutorial to form roof flashing to make any shape you need. If you can't figure out a way to make something else work maybe someone here knows where that tutorial is so you can make your own cutter.

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:23pm
post #6 of 16

I know that tutorial but can't remember where it is. Here's a link to an older thread about cookies w/o cutters, there are two really good links on it (one about not using a cutter, the other off-site link is a how-to-make-your-own-cutter) http://forum.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=21288&postdays=0&postorder=asc&highlight=cookie&&start=0

just_for_fun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
just_for_fun Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 16

I have made tzitzit using a square, and RI strings. I have also seen someone had made holes and tied string, but that's a pain in the neck. I will post pics of mine when I can.

suzie1962 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzie1962 Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 11:28pm
post #8 of 16

This is the link to make your own cookie cutters.

http://cakecentral.com/article73-How-To-Make-Your-Own-Cookie-Cutters.html

ceshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ceshell Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 12:11am
post #9 of 16

Haha, it was in the articles section all along, right where it belongs. Thanks for the link icon_smile.gif.

Venticali Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:49am
post #10 of 16

Wow, thanks for all the great tips!

I like the idea of using a square. With my time limit, I won't be able to get the tools needed to make my own shape.

Just_for_fun, I would love to see how you did the strings without holes, if you have the time.

just_for_fun Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 2:15am
post #11 of 16

Here are the ones I did. I could not remember before how I got the strings to stay on, now I looked at the pics: I covered the cookies w/ RI, and then placed a square of fondant on it. On one, I cut a slit and folded it back, and the other I cut a triangle out.

Now let me try to attach pic (yikes)
LL
LL

Joanne914 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Joanne914 Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 10:58am
post #12 of 16

just_for_fun....OH MY GOSH...your photo is almost exactly like the picture that was "floating around in my head!" Only, in my (warped) brain, I did not picture the "v neck" only the bottom with the same dark blue line that you have going across with the fringe hanging from the bottom. I guess it's true what they say, "GREAT minds think alike!" icon_biggrin.gif

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:49pm
post #13 of 16

If it helps, most of my cookies are unique designs, so I have the same trouble regarding cutters. I make my own templates out of the plastic template material you find in the quilting section of Joann's. It is durable, washable and stores easily if you need it again. Hope that helps!

If you ever do use flashing, I would suggest that you call the manufacturer to see if it is food-safe. The flashing that the tutorial author used was food-safe when she made hers, but I am finding that has changed. (They used to use food-safe oil in the process, but that is not the case now and you can't wash it enough to remove the new non-foodsafe oils, etc). So make sure to call the company with the one you are looking at. I can say that the aluminum flashing sold at Home Depot is not food-safe as I called a few times to check on that and got the same answer each time. I know the tutorial author also looked into what is being carried now where she had originally bought her and found the same thing. She notified CC and the warning is on the tutorial.

TracyLH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TracyLH Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 1:50pm
post #14 of 16

Oops! I forgot to tell you that if you do decide in the future to make cutters, bakinccc had a great idea she posted in the forum. Here is the link: http://forum.cakecentral.com/cake-decorating-ftopict-601574.html

Venticali Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 6:33pm
post #15 of 16

Great cookies just_for_fun!

Quote:
Quote:

If it helps, most of my cookies are unique designs, so I have the same trouble regarding cutters. I make my own templates out of the plastic template material you find in the quilting section of Joann's. It is durable, washable and stores easily if you need it again. Hope that helps!

I live in Canada so no Joann's! Maybe next time i go to the states i will stock up.

just_for_fun Posted 5 Sep 2008 , 4:47pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks for the comments! I first tried making the tzitit out of RI, after the base coat dried, but it did not look as nice, and took much more time than using fondant. These were quite easy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%