Fingers In Cake???

Decorating By BellaSweet Updated 3 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm by PinkZiab

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:52pm
post #1 of 7

When you are stacking cakes, on site, or before delivery, how do you guys place each tier on the other with out your fingers getting in the way and making a dent in the bottom of the cakes. I can never figure this out.

6 replies
Sarsi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sarsi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 9:57pm
post #2 of 7

I saw on CC once, that someone poked their dowels into the bottom cake leaving about 1/2" still sticking up, then slid the cake on top of that....the weight from the cake pushed the dowels the rest of the way down... HTH... there are probably other ways...

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:11pm
post #3 of 7

With SPS, you just slide the cake into place, stick a spatula under the cake, pull your hand out and lower it into its final spot. Easy.

Deb_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Deb_ Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 7

I also just use a STURDY spatula under one side and my hand on the other. I first remove my hand than the spatula. I don't use SPS just hollow plastic dowels and this works great for me.

Texas_Rose Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Texas_Rose Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:08pm
post #5 of 7

I use the method of pushing the dowels part of the way in (I only use the white plastic dowels, no wood anymore) and then placing the cake plate on top of them. It works great. It looks kind of neat too, the tier slowly settling into place. If you don't have boxes to transport the cake in, the dowels will hold the plastic wrap up away from the cake too (although I wouldn't try that unless you've got fondant or the buttercream has already crusted).

BellaSweet Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BellaSweet Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:10pm
post #6 of 7

Wow. thanks so much. I don't use SPS. So I'll try partially putting in the dowels first. THANKS!!!!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 3:41pm
post #7 of 7

I use wooden dowels, and I use an offset spatula to lower the cake into place.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%