Weird Requests? Here's Mine.

Decorating By Eisskween Updated 4 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm by StephW

Eisskween Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Eisskween Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:02pm
post #1 of 24

So, this lady ordered one of my 8" brownie cakes, customized with chocolate chips, cashews and white chocolate drizzle. She wanted it to say Happy Birthday _______. With a cartoon of a monkey dressed like a surgeon delivered to a local hospital to her friend who is a doctor.

I gave her a price of $25.00, tax included delivered. She said she was a student and having been there, I felt for her. Then she asks if I could put a card with it. What the heck, I have florists card so no problem. Then she asked if I could also put a mylar balloon. I said sure, for an extra $5.00. She declined stating she had to stick with the original budget. Okay, I told her I would need payment prior to delivery and I accept cash, certified check or money order. I am not set up for charges. Okay, but she works at the hospital and has a hard time getting to the bank.

Red flag. How do you cash your paychecks? At a bank right?

Anyway, she doesn't contact me for three days. This order is to be delivered on 9/5. Today is the 9/1. I hear from her and she asks me if she orders a take out dinner to be picked up, if I could pick it up and deliver it with the brownie. icon_surprised.gif She never offered additional compensation for my time and trouble, or asked if there would be an additional charge for the dinner delivery.

I found this whole thing unreasonable and told her that I had several orders to fill this week and would not be able to fill her request after all and I do not deliver products from other businesses.

Am I being unreasonable thinking this is way out there? Have any of you received such weird requests? icon_confused.gif I am baffled here at how someone could be so ________. I can't even think of the word I am looking for here. HAHA!

Anyway, I hope you are enjoying your Labor Day weekend.

Best!

23 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:19pm
post #2 of 24

I think the word you're looking for is "stupid." What hospital does she work at, I want to avoid it if I get sick!

leah_s Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
leah_s Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:29pm
post #3 of 24

ummm . . . I'd soo like to think she was kidding, but sadly I'm sure she was serious. Another word would be thoughtless, as in she doesn't think.

lynda-bob Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lynda-bob Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:29pm
post #4 of 24

WEIRD! I've never had requests like That! It's good you got going while the gettin' was good! icon_lol.gif

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:33pm
post #5 of 24

She seems like the kind of person that you dont wanna do business with!! Stay away!!! I know ppl like that, they try to get everything for free or the cheapest price & then they want extra stuff, the whole time giving you a sad story...then at the end they try to get out of paying you, its all part of their plan, dont fall for it.

jenlg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenlg Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:40pm
post #6 of 24

Ok, adding a balloon and a card is one thing..but picking up a take-out dinner?? That's wrong. Good thing you backed out when you did. Next thing she'll ask you to cook the dinner instead..lol.

AZCakeGirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCakeGirl Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:45pm
post #7 of 24

I think you totally made the right decision, especially if she hadn't even paid you yet! That is just plain odd for her to ask you to pick up her dinner. Apparently, she thinks the world revolves around her & everyone else is there to make her life more convenient. Sounds to me like what she REALLY needs... is to learn how to manage her time better so she can get to the bank & pick up her own dinner!

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:49pm
post #8 of 24

i would never had agreed to anything except the cake... you said , you,d been there (as a student) the price you gave for the cake and delivery is your business.... so be it.... but the card, balloons, and pick up dinner is another... i am glad you declined it all. good for you...

PattyT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PattyT Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:55pm
post #9 of 24

Holy Crap! It was bad enough in the beginning with all the wheeling dealing...then when I read the picking up dinner on the way ??? I literally 'gasped' I couldn't believe the gall.

You were absolutely right to wash your hands of the whole mess.

Let me see...she'll call you back on the 3rd, ask for the cake - then request a discount because you aren't delivering...and tell you that the take out dinner place will be by at 5:00 to pick it up!!!

newmansmom2004 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newmansmom2004 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 24

She asked you to pick up food and bring it to her? WHAT??? If she wanted delivery she should have called Domino's! That's just about the rudest and most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. She obviously has no manners and no class. It's bad enough she keeps adding to her initial request for the cake without ever acknowledging that she intends to pay you for all the little extras.

Unbelievable!

Jasmine33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jasmine33 Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 6:48pm
post #11 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by PattyT

Holy Crap! It was bad enough in the beginning with all the wheeling dealing...then when I read the picking up dinner on the way ??? I literally 'gasped' I couldn't believe the gall.

You were absolutely right to wash your hands of the whole mess.

Let me see...she'll call you back on the 3rd, ask for the cake - then request a discount because you aren't delivering...and tell you that the take out dinner place will be by at 5:00 to pick it up!!!

hahaha Good one!

annacakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
annacakes Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 10:41pm
post #12 of 24

Willing to bet that there wouldn't be enough money for "everything" once you got there. Somehow, you would lose on this deal!

My kids are students in London too and they know that if you can't pay for something, you can't have it. Simple.

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 1 Sep 2008 , 11:02pm
post #13 of 24

I wonder how the dinner was going to get paid for icon_rolleyes.gif ... somehow I think she expected you to plunk down the cash and then when it was time for her to pay you back - she would be broke.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 12:08am
post #14 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by costumeczar

I think the word you're looking for is "stupid."

icon_lol.gif This one gets my vote! icon_lol.gif

She sounds like a number of people I know (yes, there are MORE of them out there!) who just assumes everyone else is available for whatever she needs done because, "....I'm just SO busy!"

That phrase is such a pet peeve of ours, that when someone says it in front of hubby, he always says back to them, "Oh YOU'RE the one!" They're usually too stupid to figure out that he's making fun of them for thinking they are the only person in the whole wide world who's "busy".

DebBTX Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DebBTX Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 1:10am
post #15 of 24

Wow, it sounds like she expected you to pay for their dinner and dessert. I'm surprised she didn't ask you to also pick up a movie. icon_lol.gif

-Debbie B.

AmyGonzalez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AmyGonzalez Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:13am
post #16 of 24

Good thing you declined that one. It would have cost you way more had you given in to all her insane requests. She must work in the psych ward. icon_lol.gif

lilahcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilahcakes Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 2:01pm
post #17 of 24

Thats crazy!! icon_eek.gif It sounds like she is nuts. I had a baby 9months ago and before that i did hair in a really high end salon I always had people try to do the same type of thing. It doesnt matter how much money they have , thier will always be people prying on others kindness. icon_mad.gif

post #18 of 24

Thats crazy!! icon_eek.gif It sounds like she is nuts. I had a baby 9months ago and before that i did hair in a really high end salon I always had people try to do the same type of thing. It doesnt matter how much money they have , thier will always be people prying on others kindness. icon_mad.gif

post #19 of 24

summernoelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
summernoelle Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:33pm
post #20 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

Anyway, she doesn't contact me for three days. This order is to be delivered on 9/5. Today is the 9/1. I hear from her and she asks me if she orders a take out dinner to be picked up, if I could pick it up and deliver it with the brownie. icon_surprised.gif She never offered additional compensation for my time and trouble, or asked if there would be an additional charge for the dinner delivery.

You are her baker, not her BFF. Why would you need to run errands for her? I would do this for a friend, but I would not do it for a customer.

She is a Weird-o with a capital W.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 10:42pm
post #21 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by summernoelle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisskween

You are her baker, not her BFF. Why would you need to run errands for her? I would do this for a friend, but I would not do it for a customer.

She is a Weird-o with a capital W.

Tell her to let you know when the local bakery puts in a personal shopper service ... THEN you'll add that to YOUR services, too! icon_twisted.gif

I guarantee you that she'll tell all her little friends how unreasonable you were for not swinging by to pick up the lunch ".....because she was driving right by it ANYWAY!!!"

Denise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Denise Posted 2 Sep 2008 , 11:27pm
post #22 of 24

what a loo loo.....I would have flat out said NO to any of those requests. No...I don't have cards...that is why we write on cakes - it is the "card"....NO I don't have balloons - that is what you get at florists and NO I am not a hotshot delivery service (she would DIE if she saw what they charge).

Good grief....you dodged a bullet!

PinkZiab Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
PinkZiab Posted 3 Sep 2008 , 6:46pm
post #23 of 24
Quote:
Quote:

Red flag. How do you cash your paychecks? At a bank right?

Well you're right that her asking you to pick up her dinner is absolutely RIDICULOUS, but as far as the bank thing, I wouldn't necessarily think it was a red flag. I have been to the bank where my personal accounts are held exactly ONCE: The day I opened my account. My paychecks are always direct deposit, and I manage all of my accounts online (including opening new accounts and money transfers) so that is entirely possible that she doesn't get there very often.

But yeah otherwise, this chick sounds a little looney lol

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 4 Sep 2008 , 5:49pm
post #24 of 24
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise

and NO I am not a hotshot delivery service (she would DIE if she saw what they charge).

Good grief....you dodged a bullet!

She probably already found out how much they charge for delivery and that is why she wanted Eisskween to pick it up and deliver it with the cake. She thought she was entitled to have every thing done for her for next to nothing. icon_rolleyes.gif

Glad Eisskween messed up her little plan.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%